Options

Can you use the same IOS on all routers in the same series?

killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
I have two Cisco 2501 routers. One has a Ver. 10 IOS and the other has a Ver. 11 IOS. If I buy a maximized dram and flash 2520 (for FR) or 2509/2511 (terminal server) will I be able to use their Ver. 12 IOS and load it on the 2501s after I maximize their dram and flash?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If you max out the memory -- Yes.

But if you have routers with IOS images that old, then it's possible you may have the old Boot ROMs and have trouble supporting the 3rd party memory that you'd probably be using to upgrade.

If you do a show version command, you're looking to see if you have a 4.x Boot ROM -- that would probably need to be upgraded.

I've got a couple with 5.x Boot ROMs that didn't need to be upgraded to support the upgrades to MAX Memory.

And if you have an 11.x Boot ROM -- you're fine. Those are what I got on eBay (for $7) to upgrade my old 4.x Boot ROMs.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    killuah72killuah72 Member Posts: 60 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Here's what I got on R2 16D/4F:
    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    ROM: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 10.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

and R1 with 8D/8F:
    ROM: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c)XB1, PLATFORM SPECIF
    IC RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Are they good enough to be upgraded to the latest IOS (12.3 I think)?

And while I'm here I want to ask another question. I was looking at the 2610xm and is there a difference between the IOS version 12.4(17) and IOS version 12.4(T)?

I'm sorry I'm already a CCNA but this hardware and IOS stuff is kicking my behind.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    killuah72 wrote: »
    ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 5.2(8a), RELEASE SOFTWARE
    ROM: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-RXBOOT), Version 10.2(8a),
    You're good. If the System Bootstrap is Version 4.x, that would have to be upgraded.
    ROM: 3000 Bootstrap Software (IGS-BOOT-R), Version 11.0(10c)XB1,
    When you upgrade to get rid of the 4.x Bootstrap version, you wind up with the 11.x ROM -- and this looks like one of the last ones they made -- so also VERY VERY VERY Good.

And while I'm here I want to ask another question. I was looking at the 2610xm and is there a difference between the IOS version 12.4(17) and IOS version 12.4(T)?
    The T Train has some of the new features that will make it into the next main line version. Most businesses will stick with the plain vanilla main line versions unless there is an overwhelming business need for a new feature in the T Train.

For example -- the IOS Zone Firewall feature was added and updated in 12.4(6)T and 12.4(9)T and is probably still may be tweaked in the higher T versions. So for a CCNA:Security Lab you need those versions of the T train or higher -- the regular main line 12.4 doesn't have the feature. The stuff from the 12.4 T Train versions will be then probably be in the next 12.5 main line versions. And then Cisco will add new features in the 12.5T versions and the cycle starts over.

There's a link the Cisco web site that explains it better -- I usually find it when I'm looking for the the Cisco Partner Central Portable Product Sheets web page. But since I'm looking for that page, I found the Portable Product Sheets instead -- so you may as well check out the IOS Packaging (formerly IOS Naming) PDF. That should keep you busy until someone else posts the IOS link I was originally thinking of :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!