Options

TCP or UDP for VoIP

smohrsmohr Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
So in studying for the CCNA I first read Odom's book, which was ok, but I wanted a different approach so I'm now using Lammle's book. So here's my question:

In Odom's book it states that it is better to use UDP as error recovery doesn't make any sense for VoIP. However, in Lammle's book it states to use TCP so the segments can be sequenced in order to put them back together in the correct order.

Which one is it?

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    smohr wrote: »
    So in studying for the CCNA I first read Odom's book, which was ok, but I wanted a different approach so I'm now using Lammle's book. So here's my question:

In Odom's book it states that it is better to use UDP as error recovery doesn't make any sense for VoIP. However, in Lammle's book it states to use TCP so the segments can be sequenced in order to put them back together in the correct order.

Which one is it?

if a voice packet or series of voice packets are retransmitted late or retransmitted, what will be the result?
    That will give you the answer?
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    smohrsmohr Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    miller811 wrote: »
    if a voice packet or series of voice packets are retransmitted late or retransmitted, what will be the result?

Well, I'm assuming Odom is correct at it makes no sense to retransmit voice data but since I'm new to this I don't want to make any assumptions.
  • Options
    schpenxelschpenxel Registered Users Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□

Correct. voip = UDP. you don't really have time to retransmit on voice..
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This would be too much for Voice to do error checking and recovery plus there is no time to retransmit.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    wastedtimewastedtime Member Posts: 586 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Like the others have said UDP is correct. Also I would like to add that sequencing is done via RTP for VoIP.
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    I think you'll find that Odom's book is almost always right.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422

Would be funny as hell listening in on a phone call using TCP though...icon_wink.gif