Options

MS Exams vs COMPTIA

jeffslawjeffslaw Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
I passed my Network+ & Security+ in the last 7-8 months & am now planning on hitting some MS exams starting with 70-640 & then SQL Server. For those who have done both, how does the difficulty compare between MS & Comptia exams? Is the per test prep time near the same for both programs? I did get my MCP on NT Server back in 1999, but I've heard the MS tests have become much tougher since then.

Comments

• Options
    danclarkedanclarke Member Posts: 160
    MS tests do vary, of course, but I think the main difference is that the individual questions usually require more information to be processed than the CompTIA exams.

Put another way - in a CompTIA exam you might have a question spanning 2 lines of text - and a selection of one of four multiple choice answers, but an MS question might have several paragraphs describing the problem, with more complex answer possibilities.

Having said that, it doesn't necessarily mean that the MS questions are always harder - as I'm sure that you have found out on Security+.
    -- Dan
  • Options
    blackngold4877blackngold4877 Member Posts: 19 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When it came to the Server 03 track I would say MS was a lot more difficult than Comptia. However, with the new track, on the 2 tests I've taken so far, I think the MS tests have had more direct question and less trying to trick you with wordings, so basically I think the MS tests have gotten easier provided that you know the material. Now are they easier than Comptia? I doubt it, but the 08 tests are easier than the 03 tests.
  • Options
    jeffslawjeffslaw Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you both for the feedback :)
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I also want to say thanks for the answers. This is my next planned track after Security+
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Comptia exams introduces you to the fundamentals while Microsoft exams are basically about Microsoft stuff. If you do want to give Microsoft exams a shot I suggest that you start off with the client exams such as 70-620, 70-270 which are mainly about operating systems such as Windows Xp, Windows vista they are the easiest.
  • Options
    stupidboystupidboy Member Posts: 470
    I must add here that I spent many years doing MS exams and never gave CompTIA a second thought. I decided that I would like to take a crack at the Security+ exam (as it interests me). Many people I spoke with said that CompTIA was a waste of time and very entry level, this almost put me off.

I took the Security+ exam and I must say the many people I spoke to were wrong. The exam covers many areas (although none too deep) in one exam, the MS exams are much more focused to the topic in hand and ask more detailed questions.

I now spend time correcting peoples perception of CompTIA tests by telling them to go and take on icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    MS exams will require you to know the actual usage of a product and technology rather than just knowing some buzzwords and textbook definitions, as the comptia exams do.