Options

show int status?

TalicTalic Member Posts: 423
I was reading Odom's CCENT book and he was talking about troubleshooting Duplex issues on switches and he was saying to use the command Show Interface Status to bring up the status on all the switch's interfaces. Yet when I tried to do the command under Packet Tracer it didn't recognize it. Is Odom wrong or did they just leave the command out of the accepted PT show commands? I also looked under the CCNA Portable Command book that I have and they don't have the show command either.

edit: oops, can someone put this in the CCNA forums? I wasn't paying attention when I was writing the post icon_redface.gif

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    That's a real command, PT must be wrong. If you want to find if a command is real (and information on what it does) you can always go to Cisco's Command Lookup (requires a login).
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    This is one of my favorite commands while troubleshooting switching problems
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    elphrank0elphrank0 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Show int status has two ways of using it...

Show int status will scroll through all of the interfaces or u can do
    show int Specific interface status and it will show only the specific interface. EX. show int fa0/1 status
  • Options
    Well I ended up trying it on two old 2912 switches and it worked on a 2912 XL version but the non XL didn't have it. So I guess it depends if you pay the extra money for the more advanced commands you'll save time by using show interface status rather then going one by one over regular show int.

I'm kinda surprised PT didn't have it since it seemed like a pretty good troubleshooting command. I'm thinking about getting a 2950 now if they have the command.

So I assume the exam will have the command if they throw a sim at you?
  • Options
    schpenxelschpenxel Registered Users Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Talic wrote: »
    Well I ended up trying it on two old 2912 switches and it worked on a 2912 XL version but the non XL didn't have it. So I guess it depends if you pay the extra money for the more advanced commands you'll save time by using show interface status rather then going one by one over regular show int.

I'm kinda surprised PT didn't have it since it seemed like a pretty good troubleshooting command. I'm thinking about getting a 2950 now if they have the command.

So I assume the exam will have the command if they throw a sim at you?

if it's needed it will be in there.

i doubt you'll need it though.
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    That command isn't supported in Packet Tracer.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Anytime that a command doesn't show up in Packet Tracer, it doesn't mean that it is not "supported" I verified this when using Packet Tracer by also using Dynamips. The Packet Tracer software is very "cut and dry" and is very limited as to what commands it offers. There are a bunch of commands in my ICND1 and ICND2 book that Packet Tracer does not support.
  • Options
    Anytime that a command doesn't show up in Packet Tracer, it doesn't mean that it is not "supported" I verified this when using Packet Tracer by also using Dynamips. The Packet Tracer software is very "cut and dry" and is very limited as to what commands it offers. There are a bunch of commands in my ICND1 and ICND2 book that Packet Tracer does not support.

Well I also mentioned that I looked it up in the Amazon.com: CCNA Portable Command Guide (2nd Edition) (Self-Study Guide) (9781587201936): Scott Empson: Books and they didn't list it in their show command section.

I guess there's a reason they use different books when teaching at NetAcademy rather then using Odom's books. They make sure the commands they use in NetAcad are in PT.

Thanks for the links Mohamed.