Options

What do I do after passing CCNA 640-802?

Cisco GeekCisco Geek Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have hands-on experience with Cisco routers and switches, and I recently passed my CCNA 640-802 exam. What do I do next? Does taking the CCNA 640-802 really get you any job? What type of job? I can't seem to find any. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate that. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    The CCNA doesn't get you a job. It can help you get a job, but there are a lot more factors involved. If you are experienced and are CCNA certified, you may want to brush up your resume and interviewing skills to give you a better chance.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    Cisco GeekCisco Geek Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    The CCNA doesn't get you a job. It can help you get a job, but there are a lot more factors involved. If you are experienced and are CCNA certified, you may want to brush up your resume and interviewing skills to give you a better chance.

Good luck!

But what job title am I looking for?

There are no "CCNA needed" jobs I see. All of the job descriptions I've seen mentioning CCNA read something like "CCNA is a plus".
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Look for a job that needs someone with Cisco experience. The tittle will vary by position. You can go to the major job boards and search for CCNA.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    You can always search for Network Engineer or Network Administrator positions :)
  • Options
    schpenxelschpenxel Registered Users Posts: 23 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Look for a job that needs someone with Cisco experience. The tittle will vary by position. You can go to the major job boards and search for CCNA.

yep. just go to monster.com or one of the similar ones and search for ccna in your area. you'll get plenty of replies. most will want experience, though. so i hope you have some :)
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    Experience is key here on this one. Try monster, dice, careerbuilder. I have plenty of friends that expected a good job after getting a CCNA, but they where way off. They still had to start at a helpdesk job and work their way up the ranks.

Best of luck and let us know how things work out for you.
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    jeesarejeesare Member Posts: 28 ■□□□□□□□□□
    ULWiz wrote: »
    Experience is key here on this one. Try monster, dice, careerbuilder. I have plenty of friends that expected a good job after getting a CCNA, but they where way off. They still had to start at a helpdesk job and work their way up the ranks.

Best of luck and let us know how things work out for you.

I'll have to say the same, without actual experience its going to be harder getting into a Net Admin position unless you know someone personally. I started out working at a helpdesk for 6 yrs before eventually moving up. Everyone has different paths and methods so its very specific to you. Good luck!
  • Options
    tech-airmantech-airman Member Posts: 953
    Cisco Geek wrote: »
    I have hands-on experience with Cisco routers and switches, and I recently passed my CCNA 640-802 exam. What do I do next? Does taking the CCNA 640-802 really get you any job? What type of job? I can't seem to find any. If anyone can help me I'd appreciate that. Thanks. :)

Cisco Geek,

Try using the Partner Locator tool to find a Cisco Partner near you:
    1. Partner Locator - Basic Search - Partner Locator-Partner Central - Cisco Systems
    2. Partner Locator - Advanced Search - Partner Locator-Partner Central - Cisco Systems

As a CCNA certified individual, you might want to seek out the following levels of Cisco Partner:
    • Registered Partner
    • Select Partner
    • Premier Partner

If you happen to find a Silver or Gold Partner who happens to be hiring, more power to you. Good luck.
  • Options
    flurrballflurrball Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cisco Geek,

Try using the Partner Locator tool to find a Cisco Partner near you:

I highly recommend doing this.

After I had gotten my CCENT, I looked for a Cisco Partner in my area, found one, and sent the owner an email. They weren't even actively looking to hire someone, but he liked my attitude so much, he was going to offer me a job. Unfortunately, I had to move out of the area, but I had the job, and the only certs I had at the time were my A+ and CCENT.

I definitely recommend you give it a shot.
  • Options
    apd123apd123 Member Posts: 171
    Op where do you live? Please elaborate on your experience? And yes the CCNA is a good starting place.