Options

Protocols and Applications

DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
To use any application via the web it requires a protocol.

Hence, Email = SMTP
File Transfer = FTP
etc..

A: Now my question is, lets say you want to communicate with a server for a specific application that requires X protocol. Does this mean you have to download or install the client software(that is compatible with the software for that server) onto your pc to communicate with this server?

Example: You need to use Citrix software for writing up trouble tickets.
You connect to the Citirx Server. For this communication to take place, you would first need Citirx Application/Software installed as a Client on your pc.

OR
B: does your Windows somehow automatically know which protocol to use for this specific application from the tcp/ip protocol suite?

Could someone elaborate or explain? Or tell me if explanations A or B is the correct thinking for this and why?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897

Hence, Email = SMTP
    File Transfer = FTP
    etc..

A: Now my question is, lets say you want to communicate with a server for a specific application that requires X protocol. Does this mean you have to download or install the client software(that is compatible with the software for that server) onto your pc to communicate with this server?

You connect to the Citirx Server. For this communication to take place, you would first need Citirx Application/Software installed as a Client on your pc.

OR
    B: does your Windows somehow automatically know which protocol to use for this specific application from the tcp/ip protocol suite?

Could someone elaborate or explain? Or tell me if explanations A or B is the correct thinking for this and why?

Thanks,

The client software, loaded on the workstation is going to provide the gateway/path/communication specification to communicate with the server.

Our company provides a client software that communicates with our server, that uses telnet....
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    DerekAustin26DerekAustin26 Member Posts: 275
    So then what are "Clients" for? We also have Safeguard clients, VPN Clients,... Cant you use server software w/o clients?

I mean even when we used Citrix Server, we had to have the Citrix Software client d/led to our HD. So whats up with these clients?
  • Options
    trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    your question seems kinda strange to me... you need to learn networking fundamentials, then you will have an answer ;)
  • Options
    phoeneousphoeneous Member Posts: 2,333 ■■■■■■■□□□

Hence, Email = SMTP
    File Transfer = FTP
    etc..

OR

Thanks,

Citrix is a very specific terminal server-esque application that has its own proprietary protocol. If you need to connect to a Citrix box to run some sort of application then you either need the Citrix ICA Client installed or a pre-configured rdp-like shortcut. But there is still alot of configuring on the Citrix backend.

With some programs you can just run with a shortcut pointing to an executable on a server. At my work we have installed bankruptcy software on one server. When users need to access it they just double click on a shortcut which is pointing to the excutable for that application on the server.