Options

Remote Imaging

someehsomeeh Member Posts: 143
Hey guys,

Have anyone of you heard of a company called "Acronis", they offer situations for remote imaging deployment, back up and recovery?
What are your opinions on them for the IT pro's that have used or are using their software.

Comments

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    Yes,

Acronis stuff works pretty well.

For larger scale backup, etc.. it can be a little more expensive then some other products.

But, if the question is does it work? Yes.
    Is it easy. Yes.

I've used a few of their products and my colleges have too and it always has performed as we needed.

As I stated, if you need something for remote type backup, there are better valued products, but they may not be as easy to use up front.

They offer trial products, best to try it out for yourself, then decide.
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    Plantwiz wrote: »
    Yes,

Acronis stuff works pretty well.

For larger scale backup, etc.. it can be a little more expensive then some other products.

But, if the question is does it work? Yes.
    Is it easy. Yes.

I've used a few of their products and my colleges have too and it always has performed as we needed.

As I stated, if you need something for remote type backup, there are better valued products, but they may not be as easy to use up front.

They offer trial products, best to try it out for yourself, then decide.

Thanks,

I'm trying out their imaging solution in my agency. I was doing a comparison between Ghost and Acronis and the reviewer chose Acronis. So i decided to give it a shot. I just wanted to get some opinions on their software. I have 2 weeks to see if their software meets the needs of the organization.

Thanks for the feedback..
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i work on smaller scale environments with <20 machines. Acronis works very well for me if not flawless. love the bootable cd/dvd/USBstick feature. dont even have to install it to use it like ghost. ghost takes like 5+minutes to start from cd as it loads up the windows preinstallation environment, in that time acronis would already have you backing up/recovering (uses much faster linux). i did a white paper on it at least a yr ago but our legacy systems did not want to move over even though the whole shop prefers it.

i have to warn you about their tech support, they dont have one, its basically email tag. and now theyve really made it difficult to find their online chat support, which use to be easy. with ghost, if you have a problem, you have an answer shortly, or if youre online and plugged in, its a matter of minutes as you have symantec remoting to your machine; a feature acronis doesnt have.

ps acronis just released new/updated softwares

and how could i forget the universal restore feature. i currently use the same image for over 4 different workstations. that means i lock down only one, and use it for the others. check out their "universal restore" feature, make sure to get it
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    Lamini wrote: »
    i work on smaller scale environments with <20 machines. Acronis works very well for me if not flawless. love the bootable cd/dvd/USBstick feature. dont even have to install it to use it like ghost. ghost takes like 5+minutes to start from cd as it loads up the windows preinstallation environment, in that time acronis would already have you backing up/recovering (uses much faster linux). i did a white paper on it at least a yr ago but our legacy systems did not want to move over even though the whole shop prefers it.

i have to warn you about their tech support, they dont have one, its basically email tag. and now theyve really made it difficult to find their online chat support, which use to be easy. with ghost, if you have a problem, you have an answer shortly, or if youre online and plugged in, its a matter of minutes as you have symantec remoting to your machine; a feature acronis doesnt have.

ps acronis just released new/updated softwares

and how could i forget the universal restore feature. i currently use the same image for over 4 different workstations. that means i lock down only one, and use it for the others. check out their "universal restore" feature, make sure to get it

Thanks,

The sales rep told me about that feature, something like that would be very benefical being that we have different workstations floating around the network. I'm actually reading the guide now just to get familar with the application and what it does.
    As for the tech support, she mention something about having a team ready for me if I were to have any questions or come across any difficulty. I'm sure I will have my hands full for the next week to 2 navigating around this software.

Thanks again,