CWNA or CWTS

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings:

I would like to know if there is any benefit of starting with one exam over the other. I will be completing the CCNA soon (hopefully) and I will couple wireless studies with my linux studies, with linux being my primary (LPIC-1).

Anyone have any suggestions of which one first?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    Will you be going for the CCNA Wireless cert first? That seems the most logical after the CCNA and you having an interest in wireless. The CCNA Wireless objectives will overlap with the CWNA exam's objectives too, so you can actually study for both certs at the same time. And use Linux to experiment with wireless software and you'll have all the bases covered. The networking certs will get you more employment opportunities than the Linux certs most any day.
  • dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Be careful with the CCNA:W if you don't have access to the equipment. I've seen a couple people that are well-versed in Cisco feel like they failed because they weren't familiar with the interface, etc.
  • Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Will you be going for the CCNA Wireless cert first? That seems the most logical after the CCNA and you having an interest in wireless. The CCNA Wireless objectives will overlap with the CWNA exam's objectives too, so you can actually study for both certs at the same time. And use Linux to experiment with wireless software and you'll have all the bases covered. The networking certs will get you more employment opportunities than the Linux certs most any day.

Well Damn Mr Murray, right when I had my list finalized you had to go and turn it upside down. Ultimately I am trying to get a job quickly and I really would like to get the most bang for my buck. I have 9 months and $1500 to play with. The materials I was previously going to use for the LPIC 1 CWNA and Security+ comes in to about 1000. With what you are saying it sounds like dropping the lpic until I get back into school may not be a bad idea. But entry level networking certs...hmm....besides the CCNA CWNA what else would be good? Mind you, Im interested in Linux but Im focused on getting a better job icon_wink.gif

Well to stack up on the Net certs, maybe CCNA CWNA CCNA:S CWSP for the next 9 months followed by LPIC-1 + 2 (levels 1 and 2 not test 1 and 2) and starting CCNP.
    dynamik wrote: »
    Be careful with the CCNA:W if you don't have access to the equipment. I've seen a couple people that are well-versed in Cisco feel like they failed because they weren't familiar with the interface, etc.

I was looking at the CCNA:W stuff and the cost of the equipment seemed out of my league icon_redface.gif
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,025 Admin
    I haven't looked into the equipment list for CCNA Wireless. Is it possible to rent the needed equipment from those places that sell online Cisco rack time? They're a great alternative to actually buying the equipment. So are Cisco classes at community colleges, but only if they have the necessary wireless equipment.

And I would suggest getting the Security+ on your resume too. It's the typical first-step in getting InfoSec on to your resume.
    And I would suggest getting the Security+ on your resume too. It's the typical first-step in getting InfoSec on to your resume.

Its funny my wife (who knows very little about IT) seems to be saying I should get that as well
    I haven't looked into the equipment list for CCNA Wireless. Is it possible to rent the needed equipment from those places that sell online Cisco rack time? They're a great alternative to actually buying the equipment. So are Cisco classes at community colleges, but only if they have the necessary wireless equipment.

I am going to a school that happens to be a cisco netcad but the equipment sucks and you have to enroll in the classes and If I was in the classes I wouldnt self study :). At any rate I think the CCNA:W maybe out of my reach for now. I def want to do the CWNA and CWSP later this year however.

Edit: Do you have any info about the convergence+ ?