Options

Windows Server 2003, User problem

grayfox587grayfox587 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
I know this is a broad question but any help would be truly appreciated. I landed an internship for a company and they have windows server 2003, I barely know anything about windows 2003 but have taken a class so i know the basics, adding users etc. The current problem they are having is users are able to see other peoples computers, documents etc. and to my knowledge the privileges are correct. Any help on what i should look into, that could cause some users to see other peoples documents through the network, any help is appreciated, throw anything at me

I know its broad and not enough information is present but list anything you think it could be, its my second day tomorrow and I want to figure out whats wrong and fix things to keep the internship

one thing that i do know is they currently have macs and pc's and both can see other peoples files, all i could get from my first day

obviously i am researching myself and reading my mcse book

Comments

• Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    grayfox587 wrote: »
    I know this is a broad question but any help would be truly appreciated. I landed an internship for a company and they have windows server 2003, I barely know anything about windows 2003 but have taken a class so i know the basics, adding users etc. The current problem they are having is users are able to see other peoples computers, documents etc. and to my knowledge the privileges are correct. Any help on what i should look into, that could cause some users to see other peoples documents through the network, any help is appreciated, throw anything at me

I know its broad and not enough information is present but list anything you think it could be, its my second day tomorrow and I want to figure out whats wrong and fix things to keep the internship

one thing that i do know is they currently have macs and pc's and both can see other peoples files, all i could get from my first day

obviously i am researching myself and reading my mcse book

Go through this thread your answer is most likely in here.
    TechExams.Net - MCSA/MCSE 70-290 TechNotes: Shared Folder and NTFS Permissions
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    People are finding shared folders by just browsing the network? What's the scenario?
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need to get more information. When you say they can see other people's computers and documents, I don't know what that means.

* Where are these documents physically stored?
    * How are users accessing the docuemnts?
    * Once you have determined where the documents are look at the permissions (share and NTFS) for the folder containing the documents. What users and groups are there?
    * What are the permissions assigned to those users and groups?
    * What permissions SHOULD be assigned to those users and groups?

Once you have figured out what is going on and you know what should be going on you will be better able to correct the problem. One thing I should warn you about is that many times users have an incorrect understanding of how things are actually working and do not have a clear picture in their minds of how they want them to work. Or the picture of how they want things to work is actually just as bad from a security stand point. You need to first find out what is going on. Document where stuff is and what the permissions are.

Most places I have worked had two types of file shares: user and public. The user shares were for profiles and documents a single user needs to accomplish his/her job. The public shares are devided into two type: common and departmental. The common shares contain documents needed to be seen by everyone on the company. The departmental shares are documents/files used only (or primarily) within a single department. The best advice I can give you is to ensure that you grant access to folder only to groups and not to individuals. Also, make the groups Domain Local. While it is perfectly possible to grant access to resource to Global Groups, it is genarally better to grant access to domain resources to Domain Local groups.
  • Options
    thank you for your responses i appreciate it, I am currently working to find out more information, what i do know is i do not have admin rights so i cannot see anyone else on the network, on my bosses computer(his laptop) he has admin rights and can see every user but cannot access their files,

from my quick glance at the server as i was being added as a user it looked like there were no groups, like we were all added and consist of one big group, i asssume thats why admins can see everyone else? supposedly regular users throughout the building can see other users not being admins

any quick solutions or what i could do to fix this, like how to hide a folder by adding $ at the end of it

any thoughts
  • Options
    okay after some searching i can see everyones computers through my network places and searching for AD, different on mac's they automatically bring them up, so pretty much anyone can view a list of all employees(users), another thing i found out is there are no groups setup, users are just added in
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    You need to give more details about what you are seeing. What program are you using? Active Directory Users and Computers? What do you mean any one can see a list of all employees? Did you really mean employees or did you mean computers?