Sat for XK1-003....

janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
beta this AM. I thought to take advantage of a freebie since I have paid for so many vouchers!

I wanted to get started into Linux in a deeper way--this is deep!

I studied the 2005 version constantly until I was passing Measureup and some online freebies. I used the CBT Nuggets and the Linux 2005 In Depth book, and a lot of Googling.
Face it, GRUB is still GRUB, Apache is still Apache, and command line is VERY much alive.

Then I tackled the 2009 objectives from CompTIA--a lot more review, man pages, and Googling. I did installation on top on installation--Slack Ware 12, Fedora 11, Redhat 6.2. Ubuntu ver 8 and ver 9--since I had never done a lot of installations(& I really still haven't).
And, did XP with Fedora 11 multiboot to take a look a GRUB configuration.

I must say that I hardly saw any terms on the beta that I had not touched upon in the last 5 or 6 weeks--just a few things although OPTIONS really squelch the fun of it. This is a very broad exam. They must have a very large question base, because one or two have posted stating a few of the subjects that they encountered. I did not find this to be true on my exam! Be ready for anything!

I am glad for the experience. I have a good intro to Linux now, but no idea how well I have done on the 2009 beta exam, but I would recommend it to anyone who can get a voucher--just for fun if nothing else!

Most of this has taken place in the last 5 weeks. I have never crammed for a certification like that before!

Just had to let some of this out, if you really care. But of course you do!....else you would not be lurking around in these forums!

Don't think I have violated any agreements here, but if I have, someone just delete me!
"It doesn't matter, it's in the past!"--Rafiki

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sounds like you learned a lot. So if you pass or not, congratulations!
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    Thanks!

Your certs indicate that you must be a true Microsoft guru-tech. I work with one of those in our office. You just cannot overdo dedication! It always gives you an "Ace in the hole".

Good luck on you present pursuits!
  • RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I wasn't expecting it, but next on my list is the XK1-003. So your post was very good to read.
  • tietacktietack Member Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    When I took the beta, I was a bit disturbed by the lack of questions on Debian/Ubuntu specific items - despite their (new) coverage in the '09 objectives.

Perhaps it was just "the luck of the draw". But for me, it still seemed like a "Red Hat" (and related distro)-focused exam.

Did you see any questions that could only be checked on a Debian/Ubuntu system?
  • shednikshednik Member Posts: 2,005
    tietack wrote: »
    When I took the beta, I was a bit disturbed by the lack of questions on Debian/Ubuntu specific items - despite their (new) coverage in the '09 objectives.

Perhaps it was just "the luck of the draw". But for me, it still seemed like a "Red Hat" (and related distro)-focused exam.

Did you see any questions that could only be checked on a Debian/Ubuntu system?

Good to know I know my debian much better then my RedHat...I need to work with that more in my studies before next week.
  • janmikejanmike Member Posts: 3,076
    "Did you see any questions that could only be checked on a Debian/Ubuntu system?"

No, not that I noticed. The exam pretty well followed the 2004 exam and the Beta 2009 objectives. They, of course, overlap.

I had to replace Slackware with Fedora 11 in the beginning, because I was not getting some of the commands from my studies. Fedora gave me what I needed. Ubuntu is short on the rpm because of its Debian source. Pay attention to rpm, but your apt-get may raise its head as well.