Options

Kinds of security work

sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I'm not really familiar with the security field, but it sounds interesting. I know there are pen testers and stuff, but what are the main kinds of security positions out there right now?

Also, do they require a lot of high level math?

Thanks
A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/

Comments

• Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,031 Admin
    There certainly are a lot of journal and blogs articles on security jobs that can be found through Google. Lots of physical and administrative (other-than-technical) security postilions. Start with dice.com and search for jobs with the words "computer security" or "network security" in them.

And no, there is no real call for most types of math in most Information Security jobs. Financial auditing and CPAs come mostly to mind for needing math. There's math in network statistics/analysis and theoretical cryptography, but mathematicians are hired for stuff like that.
  • Options
    sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    JDMurray wrote: »
    There certainly are a lot of journal and blogs articles on security jobs that can be found through Google. Lots of physical and administrative (other-than-technical) security postilions. Start with dice.com and search for jobs with the words "computer security" or "network security" in them.

And no, there is no real call for most types of math in most Information Security jobs. Financial auditing and CPAs come mostly to mind for needing math. There's math in network statistics/analysis and theoretical cryptography, but mathematicians are hired for stuff like that.

Ok, thanks. Looks like a lot of generic security jobs floating around, like "Information security Analyst" or "Security Engineer".

Also, if someone would recommend a few good security books to start with, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Security+ is the logical place to start. Even if you don't take the exam, the materials will give you a good introduction/foundation.