Options

TCP Protocol Numbers on 101 review?

TurkTurk Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
I'm taking some practice tests using Transcender and one of the questions was

"You are examining a TCP packet that traveled through your router today. The protocol field of the IP header contains a value of 115. Which protocol did this packet use?"

Do we really have to know TCP Protocol Numbers for the Security+ 101 exam? I think learning TCP/UDP port numbers alone is confusing enough, but to have to know their protocol numbers too seems a little much. Any know, have any experience, or have seen that type of question on their test before?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Check the objectives. I don't recall seeing anything like that on there. I think Transcender occasionally goes a bit too in-depth, but you'd rather have that than not being adequately prepared, right? ;)
  • Options
    msbachmanmsbachman Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    That sounds a bit too in depth. Think about it for a second, do they honestly expect you to memorize all possiblities of an 8 bit field?

That said, someone who knows more about this could comment (looks like an expert already has, @dynamik). It seems to me that this question is not like the others that I've seen, it requires and in-depth understand far beyond what the rest of the SEC+ exam goes into.