Options

Need help fromatting an HP hard drive

mmmacwmmmacw Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
I have a HP pavilion the is causing me real problems. First the modem adapter got deleted so I, per HP uses the recovery dish, reinstalled the Win 98 OS. Now most of my programs are hanging up. I was advised to use the recovery disk and reformat my HD. I did what the disk said but the computer will not reformat the HD. I ran FDISK first them rebooted with the recovery disk in and selected to reformat. It appears to open the files but fails to erase the current HD. I only have 1 HD. Please give me some ideas how to solve my problems.
Thanks
mmmacw

Comments

• Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am thinking that you have mucked up with fdisk perhaps? If the system is W98 then it is FAT32 and when you fdisk it then it should clear all references to current progs. Are there multi partitions?
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    icon_cry.gif
    I went and corrected the FDISK and Formated the HD again.
    I then confirmed that the fdisk was correct - 1 partition FAT 32
    Then I put in the system recovery disk and it appeared to install everything ok. Then I got an error message
    File allocation table bad, drive c
    I ran Norton disk doctor from the CD and it found errors in
    windowsoptionscabs. invalid entries.
    It also found many lost clusters in many chains.
    Since everything was put in from the system recovery disk I do not know where to go. The basic WIN 98 works ok, but several of the utilities that I tried are not working.
    Do I need to start over again.
    HELP!
  • Options
    RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hmmm - it almost sounds like your restore disk is corrupt. Take a look at the face of the disk and check for scratches would be my first advice. There are kits available that will clear up small scratches, but it may be that a replacement disk is needed.
    www.supercross.com
    FIM website of the year 2007
  • Options
    WebmasterWebmaster Admin Posts: 10,292 Admin
    File allocation table bad, drive c
    I ran Norton disk doctor from the CD and it found errors in
    windowsoptionscabs. invalid entries.
    It also found many lost clusters in many chains

Am I missing something here? Seems to be obvious you need a new hard disk...
  • Options
    CrossCross Member Posts: 234
    See if you are still under the warranty of HP, contact them. Or just go to your local Circuit City and buy yourself a Western Digital Hard Drive at a very good price.
    I'll change highways at the crossroads, I'm going only where I desire.

http://www.darkroads.com
  • Options
    :D
    I ran FDISK again and wiped everything out and set it up again, then rebooted and used my recovery disk for the umteenth time but this time everything went fine. The system is up and running and my HD has stopped its constant chattering.
    Thanks for the help
    :D:D:D
  • Options
    icon_sad.gif I have developed problems. I have reinstalled most of my software. My modem will not work. I have verififed the drivers but I keep getting an error message
    "insert Disk labeled Window modem installation Disk.
    the 'file detect.vxd' on windows modem installation disk cannot be found."
    I have tried to put both of the recovery disk in but neither will work.
    I also just tried to run defrag and it will not start up.
    Help.
  • Options
    bellboybellboy Member Posts: 1,017
    have you tried running norton again?

have you tried running the system with the side-panel off and checking that all fans are working? do you have ram to swap-out?

like the webmaster suggests, it may also me a bad hdd. if you can afford it, it may not be a bad idea to try a new hdd. if there is no need for it, you would be part way to building you next system ;)
    A+ Moderator
  • Options
    D-boyD-boy Member Posts: 595
    Maybe you should just take it back to the store you brought it from icon_wink.gif
    Is there a noise coming from the hard disk?
    Does it work in another PC?
    Have U tried installing a new hard disk?
    Have you tried going to www.hp.com for a new recovery disk, it could off become corrupt?

If that don't work, go to www.dell.com and buy a dell

D-boy