Options

Home folder not mapping

mallyg27mallyg27 Member Posts: 139
I have enabled folder redirection of the my documents folder to the users home directory. In each users profile the home directory is //servername/sharedfolder/username. Now when I log on with the user and try to access the my documents folder I get an error that says

"The My Documents folder could not be found. Right-click the My Documents icon, click Properties and check if the path your target folder location is correct".

I can see that each user folder is created on the server. The event log on the client says the folder redirection was successful. Any ideas why its not mapping and im getting that error message. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Are you sure your back slashes are actually back slashes and not forward slashes like youu have in your example?

[URL="file://\\server\share\username"]\\server\share\username[/URL]
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    ping the server?
    owner permissions?
    spell everything right?
    check out what the error message said?
  • Options
    Are you sure your back slashes are actually back slashes and not forward slashes like youu have in your example?

[URL="file://\\server\share\username"]\\server\share\username[/URL]

Feel so dumb to admit but yes my slashes were backwards. When the user logs in, the user now sees the home directory. But, When i go to save a document whether its in word,notepad,internet explorer that error message still pops up that says

"The My Documents folder could not be found. Right-click the My Documents icon, click Properties and check if the path your target folder location is correct".

Any idea of what may be causing this message.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    mallyg27 wrote: »
    Feel so dumb to admit but yes my slashes were backwards. When the user logs in, the user now sees the home directory. But, When i go to save a document whether its in word,notepad,internet explorer that error message still pops up that says

Any idea of what may be causing this message.

In the properties menu of my documents, what do you see as the path?
    Can the user access the folder from the run box? IE typing the path in.
    Does the user have the correct permissions tot he parent directory?
    [URL="file://\\ServerName\Share"]\\ServerName\Share[/URL]

Describe what you mean by "the user now sees the home directory." Is the user able to browse it? Or just see the folder?
  • Options
    In the properties menu of my documents, what do you see as the path?
    Can the user access the folder from the run box? IE typing the path in.
    Does the user have the correct permissions tot he parent directory?
    [URL="file://\\ServerName\Share"]\\ServerName\Share[/URL]

Describe what you mean by "the user now sees the home directory." Is the user able to browse it? Or just see the folder?

For some reason the target path of the my documents folder is empty on all my users. What should be in the path?

What I mean when the i say the user now sees the home directory is that, when the user tries the save his work it shows the mapped drive which is " user on 'servername\home$'( H )
  • Options
    Everything works fine now. Since I had the slashes wrong in the home profile. It somehow screwed up the my documents folder. I created a new user and all seem to be working fine now. Thanks