Options

After CCNA exam

suni_143_mesuni_143_me Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,
I am new to this but would like to do CCNA certfication. Could some one give more details regarding this exam and the opportunities once we clear this exam. The opportunities are only on hardware side? If so I guess it is not very much suitable for girls.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Suni

Comments

• Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Wait!! Why do you guess that working with hardware is not suitable for girls?
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    You should check a couple job boards such as monster and dice. Check to see what people are looking for in the area. Where I'm at, it's mostly software and not a lot of hardware. Those that do hire for systems admin/network admin want MCSE or CCNP or above. 2 1/2 hours west of me, Chicago has about 10 or so jobs a week that I could probably get. 3 hours south, Indianapolis has 2-8 a week that I could fit into etc..

CCNA did get me a couple calls, but no real work. The whole male vs female thing doesn't really apply. In this market I seem to think whoever has the better resume or whoever can at least sell themselves the best will have preference over others. Male or female it doesn't matter. Employers can be picky in the current market.

By the time you finish the CCNA, the job market will hopefully be a little better. My resume isn't impressive, but I've been able to get an interview or at least some feedback by simply laying out my goals regarding certifications and being flexible.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    If so I guess it is not very much suitable for girls.
    Your biggest problem would be the adolescent boys in the networking and server admin fields, not the hardware. :D

With a CCNA you may start out on a helpdesk (hopefully Network related :D), NOC (Network Operation Center), etc..... Or you could be "racking and stacking" routers and switches in a Data Center or wiring closets around the Company (or customer sites). Or you could be a junior network admin doing "fetch and carry" tasks for senior network engineers (hey, that network documentation doesn't update itself and somebody's got to do it :D).

What's your current experience (and education)? Are you just starting out? Changing careers? Trying to get out of a (non-network related) helpdesk?

Here's a CCIE Success Story on YouTube to get you started..... YouTube - My CCIE Success Story
    A female CCIE -- plus she dances, plays the piano and violin, paints, and works out so that she can kick anyone's a** who makes a "nice rack" comment about the 1:21 minute mark in the YouTube video. :D
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SakinaSakina Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Suni,

Please dont see hardware as male orientated, believe me no amount of "hardware" feels threatening. I'v worked with the "blokes" for many years now and to tell you the trueth, its far more fun. No bitchiness and fighting... like you'll find amongst the girls. They also love showing off their expertise, so I guess you never miss out on learning something while they are icon_wink.gif

Dont undersell yourself, IT and hardware is very much a girlie job too now days.... well except here in NZ icon_cry.gif.

Mike.... we will invent some nice pink routers one day with lacy brush panels for the racks and all this without opening our mouths.....and the unsuspecting males will wonder what we are thinking icon_lol.gif Just bringing the womens touch icon_wink.gif
    :study:
    Gallagher -- Don't you wish there were a knob on the TV to turn up the intelligence? There's one marked "Brightness," but it doesn't work
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Your biggest problem would be the adolescent boys in the networking and server admin fields, not the hardware. :D
    well, the adolescents aren't just relegated to the networking/server admin fields, I can tell you that much from experience! ;) But seriously, it can be tough to be a chick in IT, as with any male-dominated field. It's getting better, but I still get comments about not looking like an IT-person or people assuming that I'm some sort of an admin assistant instead of a tech. I know what I know, and if other people underestimate my abilities, then they're just pleasantly surprised when I surpass their expectations. Simple as that. The only thing that's a little hard is figuring out when to suck it up and let comments slide and when you have to say something to "defend" your own honor, so to speak. Most of the time, I just have to do my job and that's enough to shut up the jerks.
    mikej412 wrote: »
    Here's a CCIE Success Story on YouTube to get you started..... YouTube - My CCIE Success Story
    A female CCIE -- plus she dances, plays the piano and violin, paints, and works out so that she can kick anyone's a** who makes a "nice rack" comment about the 1:21 minute mark in the YouTube video. :D
    Well, great, now I feel like a total slacker. icon_sad.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    skrpune wrote: »
    well, the adolescents aren't just relegated to the networking/server admin fields, I can tell you that much from experience! ;) But seriously, it can be tough to be a chick in IT, as with any male-dominated field. It's getting better, but I still get comments about not looking like an IT-person or people assuming that I'm some sort of an admin assistant instead of a tech. I know what I know, and if other people underestimate my abilities, then they're just pleasantly surprised when I surpass their expectations. Simple as that. The only thing that's a little hard is figuring out when to suck it up and let comments slide and when you have to say something to "defend" your own honor, so to speak. Most of the time, I just have to do my job and that's enough to shut up the jerks.

Well, great, now I feel like a total slacker. icon_sad.gif
    I wouldn't worry much skrpune, not everyone can have OCD! icon_lol.gif
  • Options
    PC509PC509 Member Posts: 804 ■■■■■■□□□□
    It's probably more difficult to land a good hardware job being a girl, although I wouldn't have any first hand experience with that... But, I've met a few girl sys admins and hardware gals that could put most of the guys I've met to SHAME. Of course, I've seen some pretty ingenious guys, too. I think once you prove yourself, it doesn't matter the ***.

Get your CCNA, and bust ass and you'll be on top in no time. NO PUN INTENDED in that sentence, although it sounds like one! :)

So, go for it, and slaughter the men out there. :D
  • Options
    blossoms005blossoms005 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi,
    I am planning to do CCNA certification. But my male colleagues are telling it is not for girls icon_cry.gif.
    I am very much interested in networking. So, can anyone help me out ? Suggestions please.
    Thank You :)
  • Options
    krjaykrjay Member Posts: 290
    Do you live in Saudi Arabia?
    2014 Certification Goals: 70-410 [ ] CCNA:S [ ] Linux+ [ ]
  • Options
    theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I went through the Cisco Academy back in 2001, but never got around to actually taking the CCNA. Now, I'm studying again for it. One thing I've noticed has changed in the last 11 years is that there seems to be alot less hardware material. My classes included cabling (UTP), MDF/IDF/POP design requirements, etc...We even had to do a TCS (Threaded Case Study) where we designed an entire network from the ground up. We were given floorplans and maps and were told to pick and price the hardware, design the LANs at each site (pick a location for the MDF/IDFs, plan where to place the hubs, switches, and routers, determine which cabling to use, etc...) and a WAN to connect the sites (what type of links to use: Point-to-Point, Frame-Relay, etc...This was of course in addition to all the configuration stuff (VLAN Design, ACL Design, etc...)

Now, the CCNA appears to be almost entirely configuration and troubleshooting with some basic networking. I guess all that stuff I mentioned must've been spun off into the CCDA. All that said, even without a CCNA (I had other Networking-related Certs and a 2-year degree in networking) I still did some hardware work - racking/unracking Servers, Switches, and Routers and connecting Cables, IP Phones, etc...The equipment was shipped to the branch office preconfigured. I just installed it in the rack and connected all the cabling according to the wiring diagrams. With a CCNA, I would expect to do more on the software (configuration side).
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • Options
    jenniferscottjenniferscott Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone, If u more details for CCNA and other IT related courses so review this site "www.allexamguide.com/career"

I hope after review u have more information on IT related courses & our training program.
  • Options
    TurK-FXTurK-FX Member Posts: 174
    I work in cabling position. We did 2 big jobs past 3-4 months, and both job had a Female supervisor of Data center.
    WGU classes: Transferred -> AGC1, CLC1, TBP1, CJC1, BVC1, C278, CRV1, IWC1, IWT1, C246, C247, C132, C164, INC1, C277. Appealed -> WFV1 and C393.
    What is Left to take - > EUP1, EUC1, C220, C221, BNC1, GC1, C299, CTV1, DJV1, DHV1, CUV1, CJV1, TPV1, C394
    Currently Studying -> CCNA security (Designing Customized Security & Security)
  • Options
    Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Hi,
    I am planning to do CCNA certification. But my male colleagues are telling it is not for girls icon_cry.gif.
    I am very much interested in networking. So, can anyone help me out ? Suggestions please.
    Thank You :)

Your coworkers are jerks.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • Options
    MAC_AddyMAC_Addy Member Posts: 1,740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    But my male colleagues are telling it is not for girls icon_cry.gif.
    I am very much interested in networking.

Indeed your coworkers are jerks. Though, if it were your boss, you could sue him for saying something like that. That's discrimination. Highly frowned upon. If I were you, I'd study for it, take the test, ace it and then rub it in your coworkers faces! Muhaha.
    2017 Certification Goals:
    CCNP R/S