Options

I need some help choosong a topic

qwertyiopqwertyiop Member Posts: 725 ■■■□□□□□□□
I need to comeup with a subject for my IT senior project but I cant think of anything so I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on topics.

FYI im working on my BS in Network Administration so the topic will have to be focused around that.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What are the project's criteria?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    What are the project's criteria?

You are given an opportunity to demonstrate that you are able to integrate and synthesize competencies from domains across your degree program. It should be based on the solution of a “real-world” problem. With the permission of their employers, some students have been able to use work-related projects as the basis for their capstones. Please download the study guide for more details.
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    i made a program using some existing barcode technology for one project, and built a website - something like a knowledgebase - with a backend database for another project.
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I need to comeup with a subject for my IT senior project but I cant think of anything so I was wondering if you guys could give me some ideas on topics.

FYI im working on my BS in Network Administration so the topic will have to be focused around that.

I'm about to be in your shoes when I go back the end of August. Getting my BS in Computer Science conc. Business
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    I just cant think of anything that would make a good project
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    qwertyiop wrote: »
    I just cant think of anything that would make a good project

What interests you? Or perhaps check with your companies IT department, maybe you can use something that they are working on or started by dropped and re-activate their dropped project and use it for your class?
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    I actually have a little idea and wanted to know what you guys thought about it. This is something that I will be doing for my employer in the coming months.

[FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Massachusetts has passed a law to protect Personal Information from accidental or intentional exposure. Titled "201 CMR 17: STANDARDS FOR THE PROTECTION OF PERSONAL INFORMATION OF RESIDENTS OF THE COMMONWEALTH." This law creates standards for businesses that own, license, store, or maintain any personal information (PI) about a resident of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, regardless of where that business is located. 201 CMR 17 protects personal information in both paper and electronic records. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]201 CMR 17 defines personal information (PI) as a resident's first name and last name or first initial and last name in combination with any one or more of the following items:[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1. Social Security number.
    [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2. Driver's license number or state-issued identification card number.
    [/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3. Financial account number, credit or debit card number that would permit access to a resident's financial account[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Every person who owns, licenses, stores or maintains personal information about a resident of the Commonwealth needs to be in full compliance with 201 CMR 17 on or before January 1, 2010. There are two important aspects to compliance - the comprehensive written information security program,(WISP), and your actual computer network.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]The WISP is more than just a document, but a program that must include:[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1. Assigning one or more employees the task of maintaining the security program[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2. Assess the security of your organization, and the integrity of any electronic, paper or other records containing personal information[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3. Developing security policies for accessing and transporting information outside of business premises. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]4. Creating enforcement practices for violations of the security program rules.[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]5. Preventing terminated employees from accessing records [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]6. Verify that third-party service providers that your business works with have equal protections in place if they have access to personal information[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]7. Minimizing the amount of personal information collected [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]8. Determine which systems and records contain personal information[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]9. Restrict physical access to records containing personal information, [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]10. Regular monitoring of the security program [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]11. Reviewing the scope of the security measures at least annually[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]12. Policies in place to handle security breach incidents. [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]In addition to the WISP, CMR 17 requires network systems that handle to include:[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]1. Secure user IDs and Passwords[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]2. Secure access control to records and files containing personal [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]3. Encryption of all transmitted records and files containing personal information [/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]4. Monitoring of systems for unauthorized use of or access to personal information[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]5. Encryption of all personal information stored on laptops and portable devices[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]6. Firewall and patch management protection for key systems[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]7. Anti-Virus protections for all systems[/FONT]
    [FONT=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]8. Education and training of employees on the proper use of the computer security system and the importance of personal information security.[/FONT]