Options

Finally Ordering :)

billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
I am finally going to order my routers. I got some money put together. I've order one so far. $90 -> 2611xm 128/32. I'm waiting on a response on the second one same unit same price. Going to go ahead and pick up a 1720. Also bidding on two 2950 series switches as well as 2 WIC-1T cards. Looking forward to getting the equipment and start playing, I mean learning :) I'm looking at like $400 or so give or take. Next couple of days, I'm going to register for the exam.

Comments

• Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    I am finally going to order my routers. I got some money put together. I've order one so far. $90 -> 2611xm 128/32. I'm waiting on a response on the second one same unit same price. Going to go ahead and pick up a 1720. Also bidding on two 2950 series switches as well as 2 WIC-1T cards. Looking forward to getting the equipment and start playing, I mean learning :) I'm looking at like $400 or so give or take. Next couple of days, I'm going to register for the exam.
    Good luck :)
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    Nice! I just got some new gear myself... I feel like a little kid every time the UPS/Fedex guy comes to the door with another box! :D
  • Options
    I know exactly what you mean! I've been waiting for some free dough to clear up in my wife and I's account, and today happened to be the day I got to order. I feel like a little kid in a candy store LOL
  • Options
    jhntjhnt Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Let me tell you billscott from my experience with wife: Sometimes it hard to say but you've got to do what you have to do. This is your chance to learn and know cisco stuff therefore, don't let you wife disturb you about the money. Sometimes money is not a problem, your life and skill is more importantly. Good luck friend.
  • Options
    Money has definitely been the issue lol. We just bought a house in April of this year, so we haven't had much extra cash. Plus our son is starting school, so with school shopping and everything, it has been tight. I know what you mean exactly though, LOL. They never tend to see the "reason" behind why you need it. The way I explain it to her is, I need to learn this so I can advance, make more money (because my company will give me a raise just for getting the cert). I never ask for anything really so she is cool with it. She did think I was just going to use this stuff one time and let it sit. So, I explained to her I can advance from there and use it for other certifications and she didn't know that. She calls them "boxes." LMAO. She asked last night, "What do those boxes do anyway." I said that they are not boxes they are routers, and that I am learning how to configure them. I said do you want me to REALLY explain it. Then, she said NO, as long as your going to learn and use them and you need them it is fine. She isn't into "IT talk" LOL.

I appreciate your insight as well. I know how wives can be, when they get something or want something they are excited. But, if it is for you personally and can't be used for the family, it's kind of a touchy thing. :o
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck on your exam! Have you already been studying or you're going to just register for the exam for a later date? I've recently taken and pasted the CCNA and it was by far the toughest Cert Exam that I've taken. You have to be sure to know your concepts, the topics in which you're going to be questioned on and have some hands on experience. But you can do it! Post to the forums if you have any questions... Again, good luck.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    I have been studying for a while now. I am continuing to study. I am registering for a later date to give me enough time to study some topics that I have not covered or fully grasped.
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good stuff man. As always, if you're unsure of something... post it to these forums... Everyone here is willing to help you out to the best of their ability!

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Bill,
    I actually explained to my wife what they do. She was cool with it. I actually bought about 1000.00 worth equipment for CCNA and CCNP studies. Everyone here was great help. I been studing but took last week off. I was not in a mood to study. Was a very rough week and come to find out have some car problems with cv shaft on 2006 Trailblazer. Dam warranty is up too.
    Earl
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    That's usually what happens, your warranty runs out then something happens to the vehicle. I did explain to her what they did slightly not in great detail. I just can't wait to get everything and get it put together. May be a router or two I will pick up once I go for the NP, but I have to get past the Na first.
  • Options
    Ended up getting a 2611xm, (2) 2650xm's, a 1721, (2) 2950 switches, 3 WIC's, and some back-to-back serial cables. One router came today, waiting on the rest WOOT :) I can't wait to play!
  • Options
    beef1218beef1218 Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Glad to hear that.
    $90 for a 2611xm 128/32 is just awesome! I wish I could get one like that.
    You still need more serial port for frame-relay.
  • Options
    ncsugrad2002ncsugrad2002 Member Posts: 131
    thenjduke wrote: »
    Bill,
    I actually explained to my wife what they do. She was cool with it. I actually bought about 1000.00 worth equipment for CCNA and CCNP studies. Everyone here was great help. I been studing but took last week off. I was not in a mood to study. Was a very rough week and come to find out have some car problems with cv shaft on 2006 Trailblazer. Dam warranty is up too.
    Earl

Uh oh. Hope you can work on cars yourself..a dealer will probably **** you icon_sad.gif
  • Options
    Yeah, I'm going to pick up a few more WIC's shortly. Right Now, I got this just to get up and going. I'll pick a few up sometime here soon.