Options

Returning IT guy. MS certs all different now?

pizzafartpizzafart Member Posts: 97 ■■□□□□□□□□
How come the Microsoft website doesn't show MCSE as an option anymore, and yet people on the forums are talking about getting it? Just curious. I used to post here often ~ 3 years ago and then became very ill and disappeared for a long time. Well, I'm better now! Doubt anyone remembers, lol.

Seems Microsoft has changed all the acronyms for certs now. ? *shakes head*

Most of my certs are expired now and I was thinking about going for some Microsoft stuff + re-certifying ccna.

Hopefully this isn't a dumb question. I looked around a bit before posting although maybe not as diligently as I could have... any help is appreciated.

-Allan

Comments

• Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    there still is info on MCSE, it's just harder to find now. This link will get you started...

However, if you're looking to get certified on Server 2008, then the new acronyms apply. There are lots of choices, but I believe the MCSA/MCSE equivalents for 2008 are MCITP: EA & MCITP: SA.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    skrpune wrote: »
    There are lots of choices, but I believe the MCSA/MCSE equivalents for 2008 are MCITP: EA & MCITP: SA.

Correct.
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    It is now MCITP:EA and MCITP SA which will soon replace mcse and mcsa.

www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcitp/

It is not that long now. You only need to do 5 exams to gain your mcitp ea and for mcitp sa it is 3 exams.
  • Options
    Dr ITDr IT Member Posts: 351 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well I would agree the MCSE info is a bit diffcult to find now and as for the certs i would recommend you to start with MCSE coz in the place where i live ppl ( HR & IT ) still cant understand the difference between MCSE and MCITP ..

Finally all the luck......... Cracking the MCSE takes some beating....icon_wink.gif
    Venturing in to the Unknown

Target 2018 : SSCP VCP- DTM

The Difference between the Ordinary and the Extra-Ordinary is that Little " Extra ".
  • Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    The MCSE is still the "brand" to have recruiters, employers, non IT and even some IT have been told for years the MCSE is the person to hire. They are guru's. Now most would be willing to hear about the MCITP but you have to get in the door first. And to get in that door you will require "marketing" and the best way to do that is with the certification that has been around forever the MCSE. Not mention there is still a lot more 2003 servers out there rather then 2008
  • Options
    jojopramosjojopramos Member Posts: 415
    The MCSE is still the "brand" to have recruiters, employers, non IT and even some IT have been told for years the MCSE is the person to hire. They are guru's. Now most would be willing to hear about the MCITP but you have to get in the door first. And to get in that door you will require "marketing" and the best way to do that is with the certification that has been around forever the MCSE. Not mention there is still a lot more 2003 servers out there rather then 2008

Agree.....
  • Options
    Solaris_UNIXSolaris_UNIX Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Dr IT wrote: »
    Well I would agree the MCSE info is a bit diffcult to find now and as for the certs i would recommend you to start with MCSE coz in the place where i live ppl ( HR & IT ) still cant understand the difference between MCSE and MCITP ..

You just have to admire Microsoft's ability to continually shoot themselves in the foot with shenanigans like this and yet still remain on top of the corporate IT desktop client market. Steve Ballmer and co. must definitely have some talent on the business end of things to maintain their monopoly for so long.

Let's see, first there was Microsoft Bob.... anybody still remember that guy?

Microsoft Bob - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then there was Windows ME, which was total $%#! and then XP was pretty good but had some glaring security issues, but overall I think XP was a huge hit with customers. Then Vista brought a much better security framework than XP had (I thought UAC was an improvement) but it came at a cost in that the code base was a little bloated and wouldn't run well on old hardware, and Vista's "aero" effects are total $%#! as well and they are no match for Compiz on a Linux or OpenSolaris desktop. The worst thing to happen to me recently was being exposed to the newest Microsoft Office which has that "ribbon" thing which I absolutely cannot stand....

And now, for absolutely no reason what so ever.... they're killing off the MCSE so that clueless HR personnel won't know enough to hire someone who took the time and effort to get certified as an MCITP for Windows Server 2008. Couldn't they just call the MCITP the "MCSE 2008" ?

Thanks Microsoft!!! :D

The only company I can think of in recent memory that is better at shooting themselves in the foot than Microsoft is would be Sun Microsystems, which is a tragedy because Sun has come up with a lot of really cool technology over the years: NFS, ILOM for remote server management, Sun Cluster, dtrace, smf, Trusted Solaris, ZFS, Virtual Box...

Note that I did not list Bing in Microsoft's list of failures. Bing might not be quite as good as Google for raw search capabilities just yet, BUT it does actually contribute back to the open source Linux / Unix / BSD movement in a way. I think the custom reverse-engineered version of GFS (Google's Distributed File System) that Bing uses for it's Hadoop-based search clusters was open sourced and given back to the main open-source Hadoop distributed computing project that's run by Yahoo and IBM. So thanks Microsoft for giving us a cool, highly optimized distributed file system to use with our Hadoop clusters (and I really mean "thanks" with utmost sincerity, I'm not being sarcastic here).

ps -e -o pid | xargs -t -n1 pfiles | grep "port: $PORT"

dtrace -n 'syscall::write:entry { @num[zonename] = count(); }'

http://get.a.clue.de/Fun/advsh.html

http://www.perturb.org/display/entry/462/
  • Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    Couldn't they just call the MCITP the "MCSE 2008" ?

I read it online somewhere, and not sure of the validity of it, that Microsoft has been sued repeatedly over the years for using the title "Engineer" in the MCSE.

If that's true, the old titles are gone for good.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Let's see, first there was Microsoft Bob.... anybody still remember that guy?

Hey, I actually liked Microsoft Bob!

Sure, it was totally worthless as an interface, but it was still kind of fun!