Options

Leave full-time for Temp Job??

ChronusMaximusChronusMaximus Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hey guys,

I was wondering if I could get some input from some people...

My current situation is a Staff Assistant (Office work) full-time, $10 per hour, with health benefits at the University I am attending. I am majoring in Computer Information Systems and will graduate in December.

I have applied to a lot of jobs and most of them seem to hire people with more experience. I applied to a Assistant Network Tech job through another college in my area and got offered an interview. However, even if I got offered the position I am not sure I should take it. The position is a part-time, 32 hours per week @ 12.50 an hour through a staffing company they use.

Another factor is that I might be leaving this city in a year or so anyways

So here is the break down I have come up with for leaving my current job:

Pros:
Gain Network experience

Cons:
Lose health insurance benefits
Continue working in office setting, not IT
Not gain any experience in IT if I stay at my current job

The pay difference equals close to the same because of the increase in pay but I think the two factors that both me the most are losing health insurance and being employed as a temp through a staffing agency.

Any input much appreciated!
WIP: CCNA

Comments

• Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Well experience is huge. If you don't have any you'll find that people with less training and more experience are going to get the jobs you want. If you really want to get into IT you should really consider taking the job.

Also, most staffing companies do give healthcare benefits through them.. it's just not as good as being a full timer. If you really need the healthcare. Personally i'd take it if I were in your situation.
  • Options
    JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    Any chance the job could go FT?

Looking at your sig, looks like you got some well defined goals. If you got the job, knock out your certs and even if you don't get FT, you got some golden experience to get to the next level.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    In your situation, I would take the network job and not think twice about it.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    ChronusMaximusChronusMaximus Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you everyone for input. Everyone seems to feel that the experience takes priority. I am going to fill out the paperwork with the staffing agency today. Little nervous about the switch though...

Thanks everyone for your input!
    WIP: CCNA
  • Options
    JBrownJBrown Member Posts: 308
    Go for Experience. You have to make the switch sooner or later, why not now? Educational institution is the best place to gain experience with different types of technologies. From there you can decide what to go exactly for; Sys Admining or Net Admining or both.