Options

Limitng Instant Messaging

BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
I have a request from one of the end users to allow some sort of instant messaging program to be installed on the work computers. I am not opposed to this, but it must be approved by the boss.

The main concern is limiting the "buddies list" to only those at work. Does anyone know of one of the programs - yahoo, aim, msn, trillian, pidgin, etc that you can lock down the buddy lists to only have those from work? We are not interested in hosting our own IM server at this time, but using one of the other ones available.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Not that I know of. Do you have something in place to stop them from using things like: Meebo - Connecting AIM, MSN, Yahoo, Facebook, MySpace messengers
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    I know you said you don't want to host your own IM server, but there's an application called eJabberd thats very lightweight and can even run on a laptop on the network. All you really have to do is install the software and start the service.

Then use any xmpp client (pidgin for example) to connect to it. Its super small and light/easy and it's secure since its all internal. Anyways, something to think about.
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Right now they are locked down on websites via Content Advisor in IE, not the most robust but it gets the job done.

I will look into ejabberd and see if that might do the trick.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Microsoft has hosted Communicator, if you're using Exchange you need to look at this:

Microsoft Office Communications Online | Instant Messaging | BPOS
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    I think you're more of an open-source shop. I've seen a thread or two about various open-source IM servers. I can't find it at the moment, but you might want to search around a bit if you're interested in going that route.
  • Options
    eJabberd is open source =d
  • Options
    ziggi138ziggi138 Member Posts: 94 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are 2 programs i can think of. One is Groupwise Messenger by Novell. The University that i used to work for had this, and it worked well.

The other program, Pronto ( Wimba Pronto) is a great messenger client that i use all the time, but it is geared for students.

I think you will have to host both of those clients though.
  • Options
    aordal wrote: »
    eJabberd is open source =d

What does that emoticon mean? Is it licking it's eye? I don't know how to interpret that... icon_lol.gif

Yea, I didn't mean to imply that one wasn't, or that it wasn't a good one. There was just a thread awhile ago that had a list of similar things.
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    I set up ejabberd once and it was pretty easy to get going and work with. Management changed their mind the next day so it went bye-bye. But at least in that respect I can give a recommendation for that one.
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 934 ■■■■□□□□□□
    IM is never needed at work. You got phone for priority issue, gmail for all other following up. Why do they need IM? The management need to fire.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    My company uses an inhouse solution. Theyre helpful because you can multitask alot better. It is a lot easier to im someone a question and let them get back to you at their conveinence rather than putting them on the spot at their desk or cluttering their email.
  • Options
    LizanoLizano Member Posts: 230 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kasor wrote: »
    IM is never needed at work. You got phone for priority issue, gmail for all other following up. Why do they need IM? The management need to fire.

I actually disagree. IM gets a lot of work done for me. If used wisely.
  • Options
    Forsaken_GAForsaken_GA Member Posts: 4,024
    Kasor wrote: »

Phone's don't help when I need to transfer technical data to a person that needs to see it. Too much room for error, and too slow.

Put sensitive corporate information out on Gmail? Are you nuts?

We run our own Jabber server, and it's a life saver. It allows quick and effective communication between our departments. I don't know what your work environment is like, and for your case, what you say may be true, but I assure you it is not true in all cases.
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    We use IBM SameTime "it works with Lotus Notes",and we love it.
    it can save money on international calls if you work in an international company.
    +
    Some times it is difficult for non native English speaking people to understand other non native English speaking people from a different region <Arabs, Indian and Chinese>, Actually we some times find it difficult to understand what our British colleagues are saying.
    +
    You can be involved in conversations with more than one person throughout the day and have a log of each conversation, and you can get back to any of them with a double click.

IBM software - IBM Lotus Sametime
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    What does that emoticon mean? Is it licking it's eye? I don't know how to interpret that... icon_lol.gif

I'm not sure really, it's something I picked up back when I used to play EQ and now it seems to find its way into everything I type!
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Lizano wrote: »
    I actually disagree. IM gets a lot of work done for me. If used wisely.

I agree. We use OpenFire at my work. Users find it easy. They are aware the chats are logged. It makes it easy for me to contact someone when I am on the phone with someone else. It also makes it easy for me to contact people at our second location when someone there is on the phone.