Options

Help with deciding on what school to go to next to help get into IT

gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello all and sorry that its so long,

I'm looking to get some advice on continuing my education so i can hopefully break into the IT field more. I recently graduated from a 4yr university and received my B.S. in Management Information Systems. I'm currently pursuing my CCNA (just finished the prep course my job offers and studying to take the test by the end of the month) I really want to get into Windows/Network admin roles but lack the experience. I have experience in PC repair/troubleshoot (all self-taught) and have been on internship doing support for a proprietary software (usually flash, popup blockers, java issues that cause the most issues) for two years. I am finding that i don't have really any experience in what i think it would take to get a job doing the basic windows support (have been looking at different ads for help desk and Jr admin) A lot of them are looking for experience with Win 2K3, AD, things like that and i haven't learned it. I was thinking about getting a masters in MIS (I eventually, want to have/work my own consulting firm) but not sure if that will help me get a job in this field. I have also recently been thinking about going to a tech school in getting an AS or another BS to get more of the hands on experience in some of the things employers are seeming looking for....any advice on either of these things. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    Do mcse, mcsa, mcitp ea certifications. They are based on windows systems and networking.

www.microsoft.com/learning/certification/
  • Options
    gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do mcse, mcsa, mcitp ea certifications. They are based on windows systems and networking.

www.microsoft.com/learning/certification/

So do you not think i should go back to school and get the training for it or just self study? The way things are looking im not eligible for any (or at least havent been called back) for many IT jobs, help desks included.....i dont want to take a job thats not IT based to pay the bills but its looking like i might have to...
  • Options
    sagewalkintheresagewalkinthere Member Posts: 99 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So do you not think i should go back to school and get the training for it or just self study? The way things are looking im not eligible for any (or at least havent been called back) for many IT jobs, help desks included.....i dont want to take a job thats not IT based to pay the bills but its looking like i might have to...

Self study. It is possible with the older Microsoft certifications, and certainly possible with the newer ones (MCITP:EA for example).

Actually, though, with just your Bachelor's degree and a CCNA, you should be able to score some sort of Jr. or entry level position. After that you can focus on what you'd really like to go into (systems administration, networking, security, ect).
    A.A.S. Multimedia Web Design, MCTS 70-623, MCTS 83-640, MCP 70-270, A+
    http://jasonereid.blogspot.com/