Options

Almost made it... (dns issue?)

jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
So, I know enough to be dangerous… I setup my home lab, and I can ping from my PC out to the internet! The problem is I have no DNS…

My setup at the moment: Internet <- (2520) <- Frame Relay -> (2520) <-> (3550) <-> PC.

The first 2520 get’s it’s ip/dns via dhcp, and with the help of rip passes the 0.0.0.0 route along allowing traffic to flow. It also provides nat for outgoing traffic.

The second 2520 provides dhcp / nat for the lan.

Right now I pass the ip address of the e0 port that plugs into the 3550 as the dns info; however, that's not working. I assume the second 2520 doesn't know what to do with the dns requests. Seeing I haven't told it what to do with them or how to handle them I can't blame the router. icon_wink.gif

Any help / link would be greatly appreciated!
(Let me know if you need more info)

Thanks! icon_cheers.gif

Comments

• Options
    JavonRJavonR Member Posts: 245
    jbrad95706 wrote: »
    Right now I pass the ip address of the e0 port that plugs into the 3550 as the dns info; however, that's not working. I assume the second 2520 doesn't know what to do with the dns requests. Seeing I haven't told it what to do with them or how to handle them I can't blame the router. icon_wink.gif

At a quick glance this appears to be your problem. Looks like a pretty easy mistake - you're thinking next hop. Instead of putting the e0 ip address as your DNS info, you will want to be putting the actual DNS server's internet IP in. IE: 4.2.2.2 (a good well known public DNS server) or w/e your ISP gave you.

Good luck.
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    JavonR wrote: »
    At a quick glance this appears to be your problem. Looks like a pretty easy mistake - you're thinking next hop. Instead of putting the e0 ip address as your DNS info, you will want to be putting the actual DNS server's internet IP in. IE: 4.2.2.2 (a good well known public DNS server) or w/e your ISP gave you.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply - this does work! icon_cheers.gif

But... icon_surprised.gif

I am trying to have the second router pass out the 192.168.1.x ip as the dns and then have the router "pass the request" to ISP's DNS.

I'm guessing it's beyond CCNA because I can't find anything in my book / video's. icon_sad.gif

Thanks again!
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    jbrad,

I think what you are requiring is beyond the scope of CCNA and more of a dns question. The second router can act as a dns server but it would only be internal. You are wanting your second router (192.168.1.x) to perform dns forwards.

I too would be interested to know if cisco routers can do this. I know on a dns server, you can setup forwarders that will allow the dns server to forward any unknown domain name to another dns server (root server). HTH.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker