Wireless access question

/usr/usr Member Posts: 1,768
We have a WAP out in the plant here at work.

There is another room where we want wireless access, but also want to be able to plug in pc's via ethernet. I want a device to communicate with the access point, but give me at least one ethernet port that I can plug a switch into. I'm feeling stupid for not knowing how to accomplish this. What would I need and where can I get the hardware? Thanks.


  • garv221garv221 Member Posts: 1,914
    You need a Linksys 802.11g router with a 4 port built in switch. You can get them at Best Buy for around $80.00. When you do get it change the security settings like password, dhcp address, stop the SSID broadcast & change the broadcast name, & if you know exactly which computers are accessing it via wireless- introduce MAC filtering.
  • Ricka182Ricka182 Member Posts: 3,359
    I would think if you got a wireless router / hub to pick up the signal, you could plug whatever you wanted in to that router. I could be wrong though..... icon_scratch.gif
    i remain, he who remains to be....
  • keenonkeenon Member Posts: 1,922 ■■■■□□□□□□
    the first question is what kind is it that you currently have b/c some wireless products don't work with others well.. manufacturers that is most say they all should work together but all don't how is your setup?

    AccessPoint>WirelessRouter> PC is this what your trying to do? icon_scratch.gif
    Become the stainless steel sharp knife in a drawer full of rusty spoons
  • RussSRussS Member Posts: 2,068 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good point there keenon - I always try to keep the same brand in my wireless nets to help connectivity. Not sure as why this is a problem as they are using the same protocols etc, but have a belief in the some are not quite calibrated to the same frequency.
    FIM website of the year 2007
Sign In or Register to comment.