Options

VPN Setup

DjScientistDjScientist Member Posts: 68 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hi all,
I recently created a new domain for one of our partner Company and now i am to find a way to be able to administer it from the HQ.The company is like 180KM away from HQ,its in another city.There are about 15 users who will be logging into the domain.The last time i discussed the issue of creating a new domain,some of contributors mentioned VPN for administration.I thought VPN was easy to set up but only when i tried making a small lab to see if it will work,i had some difficulties/confusion.
I grabbed HP Proliant ML310,slot a second NIC card and thats when the confusion started.I have never setup VPN connection before.
I have and additional ADSL line which i will use for connection to the VPN server.Any simplier way of going around it.

Thank You
Working on 293:

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're trying to setup VPN connectivity with RRAS in Server 2003?

What networking devices do you have on the edge? You might just want to get a little ASA5505 or something and connect to that.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    You're trying to setup VPN connectivity with RRAS in Server 2003?

What networking devices do you have on the edge? You might just want to get a little ASA5505 or something and connect to that.

I am not sure Dynamik,am just trying to get any solution that will help me administer clients from a remote location in a different domain like it is in my case.The new location does not have any sophisticated network devices.I thought setting up VPN for remote admistration was just straight forward.been trying to read some Libraries for that but i simply can't get it to work for me.So i thought maybe some people with experience doing that will give in some hints.

Thanx
    Working on 293:
  • Options
    Well you're going to need to learn what networking device they have on the edge because you're either going to need to connect to it or figure out how to allow traffic through it to hit your Server 2003 RRAS machine (or do you have Server 2003/ISA/etc. on the edge?).

You might want to look into a low-end ASA. They're made for small branch offices like that, and it's pretty easy to setup a VPN with those.

And yes, a VPN would allow you to do what you want to do.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Well you're going to need to learn what networking device they have on the edge because you're either going to need to connect to it or figure out how to allow traffic through it to hit your Server 2003 RRAS machine (or do you have Server 2003/ISA/etc. on the edge?).

You might want to look into a low-end ASA. They're made for small branch offices like that, and it's pretty easy to setup a VPN with those.

And yes, a VPN would allow you to do what you want to do.

I do have Server 2003 and ISA Server 2006 which is in the HQ,on the other side,there nothing really.It is only starting up and i have even done any deployement.They are still attached to the main office as we speak.Will look into a low-end ASA and try to get to see what it can for me.I was of an impression that for VPN,i will just need an extra box or Router with VPN capability and i will be set.Anyway,am still a junior administrator and not much of a hardcore,am getting there though.
    Working on 293:
  • Options
    I was of an impression that for VPN,i will just need an extra box or Router with VPN capability and i will be set.

That's essentially what an ASA is. Other vendors provide similar pieces of hardware. If you're already using ISA, you might want to put another ISA box over there; that will work for you too.
  • Options
    I don't know if what i did was proper or not.I was to configure VPN but i couldn't get it right.i did not give up on it though,am still doing some research on how to go about it smoothly though.
    WHAT I DID!!!
    I slotted a second NIC Card on the new Domain Server.One line from the Main Company domain(HQ) to the second NIC Card and the other card to the NEW Domain(separate from Main Company Domain).Simply,the domain controller for the New Domain which is separate from the Main company has two NIC cards,one connected to Main Company,the other one connected internally to the New Domain.I will be connecting to this server through the Main Company then from there i will be able,to administer the machines from the New Domain.It seems like it will be working for me while i still try to figure out the VPN setup.I just wanted to ask or get opinion on that configuration.Is it a good move or NOT.Any Security issues or limitations?

Thank you all again
    Working on 293: