Options

\\ into a workstation...

Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
What services need to be running on the workstation for me to start >> run >> \\computername1 to that workstation from a server in the same subnet?
-Daniel

Comments

• Options
    EmpoweredBizTechEmpoweredBizTech Member Posts: 110
    DNS would be the best thing to having. However you could use WINS or create an LMhost file. Otherwise you can use the workstations IP address
  • Options
    desertmousedesertmouse Member Posts: 77 ■■□□□□□□□□
    are you trying to access the administrative share (root of C drive?) or remote into the PC via remote desktop?

This response is assuming a domain, as you said "server"

for the 1st - nothing special. Just \\computername\%sysvol%$ (%sysvol% is typically C)

for the latter - nothing.

Now if it's not in a domain, then...

for the 1st - you need to have local account on the remote PC, utilize the same UNC path.

for the latter - you need to have enable "Allow Users to Connect Remotely to this PC", you need to disable/configure any 3rd party firewall software, and have a username AND password setup on the PC.

EDIT: Just realized I might have totally missed your question. Yeah you can make sure netbios is on if it's for a workgroup, otherwise you'll need to learn about DNS on the server (what OS are you running, is it actually a server OS?) or edit the hosts file on the computer you're accessing the remote pc from with a static IP address. Ewww, not a good way of doing it....

EDIT2: Just realized you have your MCSA and are asking about services, have to run now, I'll finish response later.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    You would probably need the Server service running.

You could connect over NetBIOS for local subnet so as long as that protocol is active you should be ok.

You would need to make sure the firewall doesnt block your file & print services.

and an account with permissions to that workstation.

Lastly, you should know all this since you have an MCSA and Network+
  • Options
    brad-brad- Member Posts: 1,218
    you might also want to add a \C$ to that UNC, unless something is shared.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I'm not sure why you guys are giving him a hard time. I don't know off the top of my head.

You'd only need the Server service if that machine was hosting the shares. The client would use the Workstation service. You'd also want the DNS Client if you were relying on DNS for name resolution and/or TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper if you were using NetBIOS. Netlogon might come into play if you were in a domain environment. I'll see if I can turn up a definitive list somewhere; this is a good question.

Just to clarify, the Workstation service is the one that provides the core functionality for accessing shares. I'm just not sure what others you'd need in your specific environment environment.

You could always start with them all off and figure it out via trial-and-error. It also depends on how granular you want to get. For example, you'd also need the DHCP Client service if you were assigning addresses to your workstations via DHCP.
  • Options
    PsoasmanPsoasman Member Posts: 2,687 ■■■■■■■■■□
    +11 .....I had to stop and think about for a second as well.

I would make sure you have the server, workstation, netlogon, DNS, and DHCP. Check the secondary logon as well. You can just make sure they are on automatic and will be used as needed. These services will be dependent on your network setup, of course.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yeah, not something you think about commonly, Server and Workstation are always running unless someone is locking down a computer or something is not working correctly. Whether a firewall is blocking the required ports is another question.

You would also need the "access this computer from the network" right, which by default all valid users do.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    rwwest7rwwest7 Member Posts: 300
    File and Printer sharing must be exceptioned in the firewall. Other than that the default settings should do the trick.
  • Options
    CompuTron99CompuTron99 Member Posts: 542
    rwwest7 wrote: »
    File and Printer sharing must be exceptioned in the firewall. Other than that the default settings should do the trick.
    That's what I was thinking too.
  • Options
    Daniel333Daniel333 Member Posts: 2,077 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Thanks guys.
    Looks like the old admin down there disabled what ever services he felt like on some of the images. Started the server and workstation worked like a charm.
    -Daniel
  • Options
    motogpmanmotogpman Member Posts: 412
    I do this all the time on the network, some people like to go into services and disable a few things, not realizing I can turn them back on via "services" or terminal server.

I turn netbios off all systems, chattery and not needed for our network, so that doesn't have to be running. Server/workstation services are started. I can still connect to systems even though I have file/print disabled from my system. I sometimes run into the problem of people removing the MS file/print service from their network connection settings too. DNS is obviously needed if using the FQDN.

I use the \\ to do remote starts and shutdowns, check to see what "inappropriate" software they have installed ( amazing how masny people get attached to the WORK owned equipment and think it is theirs to do as they wish), check logs/cookies/history, push programs to their local root to be installed, yada,yada.

the remote shutdown command, from RUN " shutdown /m \\pcname /f /r /t 00" would have worked for you in this case to troubleshoot the system.
    -WIP- (70-294 and 297)

Once MCSE 2k3 completed:

WGU: BS in IT, Design/Management

Finish MCITP:EA, CCNA, PMP by end of 2012

After that, take a much needed vacation!!!!!