Options

CCNA: 1 test or 2?

7lowe7lowe Member Posts: 178 ■■■□□□□□□□
I was looking at the Cisco site and it looks like you can either take a series of 2 tests or 1 single test to get your CCNA. And, all of them show a length of 90 minutes. So, is there a benefit to either taking the single or the pair? Seems like 1 90 min. test would be better than 2.

What do most people do?

Thanks,

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You're also covering twice as much content in the same amount of time ;)
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    +1 to the mik

It very musc depends on your Cisco knowledge. If you have been working with Cisco for awhile then the one test route would be the way to go. Otherwise, I would suggest the two test route.

Added: I did the two test route.
  • Options
    I guess that makes sense. I tend to think of getting certs to show familiarity with all the material, so taking 1 test would seem better. But, I guess it might be easier to learn half and take that test before moving on to the 2nd half.

• Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    The two test route doesn't give you 90 minutes per exam. I took the ICND2 last Friday and had 75 minutes to take it. There was a 15 minute exam tutorial that they are probably including. Just to give you a clearer picture.

I didn't have any prior Cisco knowledge so I decided to go the two test route. The first test really hammers in the fundamentals of any network (OSI Model, TCP/IP, networking devices and cables) which was very helpful.
  • Options
    Since you've taken both how does that ICND1 compare to the Network+?

• Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yeh i would highly recommend going the two exam route if you have limited cisco/networking experiance. The ICND1 course covers the basics of networks and routing and switching, the Cisco IOS and how Cisco gear works. Dont think you learn about the IOS in Network+. The ICND2 course takes it to another level. I spent around 3 months preparing for ICND1, sat and passed the exam and then moved on to ICND2. The ICND1 topics flow into the ICND2 topics nicely.

So all up around 6 months for ICND1 and 2.
  • Options
    coffeekingcoffeeking Member Posts: 305 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Definitely go for the 2 exam route. I learned it the hard way, taking the CCNA 1 route without some solid experience to back it up is not a good idea. Cost is the same regardless of what route you take and I am sure it is not 90 minutes for every exam, for 802 I think it is but not for ICND1 and ICND2.
  • Options
    citinerdcitinerd Member Posts: 266
    The 2 exam route gives you 2 certifications. While the CCENT might not mean anything it is still another cert to have.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    Oh come on live a little! Go the 1 test route! That's what I did! I didn't think it was too hard, I personally studied every day for 3 months solid before I took it.

>=)
  • Options
    Yeah, I just found out the day that the first test gives you the CCENT so the 2 test route definitely makes the most sense now.

Thanks everybody,
  • Options
    jscimeca715jscimeca715 Member Posts: 280
    7lowe wrote: »
    Since you've taken both how does that ICND1 compare to the Network+?

The Network+ was actually a little harder than ICND1 to tell you the truth. Content wise it wasn't, but the type of questions they ask can be a little confusing and open to interpretation. Cisco does a great job of asking questions based off of the exam topics so there aren't any surprises. I would recommend Wendall Odom's series of books because they cover everything. A lot of people don't think he's as easy to read as Lammle but it isn't that bad.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I would say do what you feel comfortable with. I am taking the 1 test route. I just registered today, my test is November 21, 2009 @ 10:00 am. I have been studying for approximately 4-6 months. I have 3 months and a few days to continue studying, doing labs, practice tests. I would rather take one test and try from there. If you go the one test route, get Boson practice exams, I hear they do a good job of preparing you for what to expect.