Options

Google Voice

SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
Anyone using it? I've read a bit about it and seems pretty interesting. If anyones using it and has any invites and is willing spare one let me know as it's only available by invite only.

Comments

• Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    True. For more information Google Voice
  • Options
    flurrballflurrball Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm using it, it's pretty nice. Plus they will ship you 25 free business cards with your number & name on them.

I think if you just sign up to try to get a spot, they will invite you in a couple days. My buddy signed up after I told him about it, and he got invited like the next day.
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Neat features, I really like the concept overall. I'm afraid I won't be utilizing my account really though, I just wanted to play around and see what it was all about. Google's privacy policy and terms don't really sit well with me in general so I'll pass on this one.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Neat features, I really like the concept overall. I'm afraid I won't be utilizing my account really though, I just wanted to play around and see what it was all about. Google's privacy policy and terms don't really sit well with me in general so I'll pass on this one.

My feelings too. I've been playing around with it and like it. Especially the call screening. I can't see myself using it as my main source of calls though.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    aordalaordal Member Posts: 372
    It's cool but the main reason I won't be using it is that I only use cell phones (verizon) and everyone I know has verizion (aka free minutes) and using google voice's number makes me use minutes.
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    I've been using it for a kind of wonky reason. I needed to have a 510 area code in order to use the door-buzzer in my apartment building, so I signed up for Google Voice so I wouldn't have to change over my old 415 number that I've been using for well over ten years. It also allows some of my friends who have "free phone service" at UC Berkeley to call me, since they're in the 510 area as well but can't make long distance calls; long distance calls, of course, constituting anything outside of their area code.

So far, I like it. It'll be very handy for when we roll out VoIP at work and I get an actual numbered extension of my own, I can just have all that forwarded to my cellphone.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    ChronusMaximusChronusMaximus Member Posts: 54 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I have been using it for a few weeks. I think one of the handy features is being able to give one number that rings multiple lines (House, Cell). I only have a cell phone and do not want everyone to have it, friends of family for free tech support for instance, so I might use it more for that.

I could see how it might be handy for a consulting business as well.

They also offer good deals on International calling but haven't compared it to something like Skype.
    WIP: CCNA
  • Options
    hypnotoadhypnotoad Banned Posts: 915
    I signed up for GV so i could finally get a cool phone number with a 4 letter word in it!! Its done WONDERS for my small business.
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I always find it hilarious when people think that their personal information matters/is important to a Fortune 500 company. rofl.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Hyper-Me wrote: »
    I always find it hilarious when people think that their personal information matters/is important to a Fortune 500 company. rofl.

I find it funny when people are naive enough to think its not.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    thomAZthomAZ Member Posts: 50 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I just got google voice and I am starting to use it with my Alltel/AT&T/Verizon(Don't know what we'll be soon) my circle plan, so unlimited minutes from my GV number. Has anyone used it with skype? I'm thinking of purchasing a skype number for a year to use as my "house" phone and using GV to make calls with the number. Is that even possible?
    In Progress: Currently enrolled in WGU: Studying for Net+

Degree: A.A.S Electronic Systems Technology
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

Yea, it's not important by any means - it's only perhaps the most important single factor that enables Google to sell so many ad's.