Options

Converging voip with data network

MachX85MachX85 Member Posts: 66 ■■□□□□□□□□
K, so if one were to have a date network with about 50 computers in an office building running on one 10.0.0.0 subnet. And say one also had a voip phone system on another 10.0.0.0 subnet. the voice and data networks both have there own dhcp servers. lets say one had successfully linked the two networks tegether before with a patch cable from a data switch to a voip switch but decided it wasnt going to work because the dhcp servers were giving addresses to the wrong sides of the network.

how then would one converge a network like this but keep the dhcps leasing only to there subnet?
(assuming data is in vlan1 and voip in vlan 11 to keep seperate, and assuming this was already set up)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    MachX85 wrote: »
    K, so if one were to have a date network with about 50 computers in an office building running on one 10.0.0.0 subnet. And say one also had a voip phone system on another 10.0.0.0 subnet. the voice and data networks both have there own dhcp servers. lets say one had successfully linked the two networks tegether before with a patch cable from a data switch to a voip switch but decided it wasnt going to work because the dhcp servers were giving addresses to the wrong sides of the network.

how then would one converge a network like this but keep the dhcps leasing only to there subnet?
    (assuming data is in vlan1 and voip in vlan 11 to keep seperate, and assuming this was already set up)

Um.. You answered your own question. Put them in separate VLANs.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    hmmm, I guess thats why I need help. They are in seperate vlans, but the dhcps still blead over and im not sure why? probably just a basic network princaple that im not getting?
  • Options
    You said they both have their own DHCP server so just make sure that the DHCP server is in the same VLAN as the devices its serving and you shouldn't get mixed results.
  • Options
  • Options
    ok so let me rationalize this.

Our data network is in vlan1 by default. Our phones are using vlan 11.
    When the networks are converged, the voip dhcp bleeds over to the data network. It would make sense that the switch port the voip dhcp is plugged into is not set to lan 11, Correct.

this gives me another question. If the voip dhcp is on native vlan1, how is it giving ips to the vlan 11 phones?
  • Options
    Depends on your set up. Do some looking around and see how things are set up.
  • Options
    ok, thanks for the heads up. Ill post if I find a solution.
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    If your DHCP is "bleeding over" like you're saying, my guess is you either don't have your VLANs set up right or you have a dhcp relay set up somewhere.