Options

New IT Consultant Job

NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
Hey Gang,
Well, after 3 interviews and 2 field trips, I managed to sign on with an IT consultant firm in the Twin Cities and will start Monday. The pay will be just slightly lower in the first 2 months, but then I should be making more the third month and after. Some of you know I have been a Network Administrator for a small company for almost 6 years now. I am bored to tears with my current job and need more of a challenge, hence my reason for switching jobs. As most of you know that working for a small company you wear a lot of hats, and I'd like to get rid of some of them hats and concentrate solely on IT stuff.

It looks like I will still be working at my current job a couple hours a day for the next couple months as a consultant, to ease the transition of me not wearing them other hats for them. After that, I will continue to manage their network, but just on a 'as needed' basis. I will slowly take over some of his other accounts. I think he's going to start me off with 3-4 accounts and go from there.

I got drilled in not having live production experience with Cisco, VMWare and programming. I was just upfront and honest and told him I didn't have production experience, but had played with it in labs, or told him how I could find the answers (call vendor, look online, ect...) He basically said I don't have the senior level experience he was looking for, but wanted me to come in for a second interview anyways since I had a "good aptitude" and was "resourceful". At one point he asked me if I needed directions, I said "No, I got them from your website, I'll see you there!". He seamed to like them sort of intangibles. I guess he liked the other non technical things like how I dressed, appearance, punctuality and all that jazz.

That's just how I roll icon_wink.gif
WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)

Comments

• Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    congrats man!
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Congratulations!! icon_cool.gif
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    that is excellent news netadmin! Good luck at your new gig! go getdrunken_smilie.gifdrunken_smilie.gifdrunken_smilie.gifdrunken_smilie.gifdrunken_smilie.gif this weekend to celebrate!
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    homerj742homerj742 Member Posts: 251
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Congrats!

Its always good to see honesty pay off!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    nice one sounds a good gig icon_smile.gif

give it 6 months to prove yourself to him and then remind him of the seniority bump... cant hurt ;)
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Congratulations! Sounds like a good chance to grow some out in the field. Let us know how it goes!
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    I hope your grammar was better at the interview, sheesh.

Congrats, though.
  • Options
    snadamsnadam Member Posts: 2,234 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

Congrats, though.

I wasn't aware that we were graded on grammar and punctuation in our posts...
    **** ARE FOR CHUMPS! Don't be a chump! Validate your material with certguard.com search engine

:study: Current 2015 Goals: JNCIP-SEC JNCIS-ENT CCNA-Security
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Congrats!! icon_thumright.gif
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    BokehBokeh Member Posts: 1,636 ■■■■■■■□□□
    congrats, welcome to the neighborhood.
  • Options
    NetAdmin2436NetAdmin2436 Member Posts: 1,076
    Hyper-Me wrote: »

Well excuse me for being retarded

PeterGriffin-Special.jpg

.....Anyways. Holly crap, this job is a much different pace then my old job. Today was another 11 hour day. I've spend more time learning their particular process, ticketing system, and scheduling then I have actually doing "work". My boss definitely got his vocabulary from Microsoft. Ya know, how the boot partition contains system files and the system partion contains boot files. Apparently the "Net Doc's" he refers to doesn't mean the mapped "Network Documnets" folder, but rather the "clientdatabase.mdb" access database icon_scratch.gif
    WIP: CCENT/CCNA (.....probably)