Options

604-802 registered

billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
Hey guys just wanted to let everyone know I registered for my exam November 21, 2009 of this year. I could end up bumping it up in time depending on when I feel I am ready. This date gives me a little over three months to do some things I want to do before taking the test. Posting here kind of keeps me excited and pressing toward that end goal (CCNA). I still need to go over some stuff on STP and ACL's, and a few other things. I've been reading the ICND1 and ICND2 books, as well as Introduction to Networking Fundamentals, and Routing Protocols and Concepts. In addition, I've been watching the train signal videos, using packet tracer to perform labs. I just got three out of four of my routers, and I'm waiting on my switch, and have to order one more, to set up my home lab. Any further recommendations I would greatly appreciate. I definitely want to pass my first time around :)

Comments

• Options
    dshay25dshay25 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I really like the idea of scheduling a test 2-3 months in advance. Advanced scheduling could be a great motivator. I am in the phase where I am not yet ready to take the test but I dont' know where the line will be drawn between not ready and ready (I can see the test being pushed further and further away).

Any reason for the 1 test track instead of the 2 test?
    WIP:
    -A.S. in Networking and Communications
    -CCENT
  • Options
    There is no real reason behind it. I just decided to go this route. A friend actually recommended it, because it is how he obtained his CCNA, instead of doing the two test route. He said it was easier than the two test route. I know that it depends on how well you prepare yourself, since there is a lot wider of a range of material. So, I decided that I would rather sit for one test, then study for one, take a test, pass it, then have to study for another, take that test, and pass it. I want it all to be over in one shot. I definitely scheduled the test in advanced to have that EXTRA push! I did this because I have a tendency to keep "pushing" things back. If I didn't register, I was afraid I would maybe keep pushing things back and never think I was ready. I definitely have A LOT to do before I am ready for the test. But, this gives me a motivator because I definitely want to pass the test the first time.
  • Options
    trackittrackit Member Posts: 224
    i thought about 1 vs 2 test route also... but then i found out that composite exam costs twice as much as single ICND exam (250 vs 125 +125). So i will not gain anything money wise if i take the composite, but if i happen to fail the composite, then that equals to failing both ICND1 and ICND2 at the same time, so i have the potential to lose more money by going the single exam route.

besides i dont think that one exam route is easier. the only point in taking the composite is imo if you happen to live far from testcenter and you dont want to waste time and money on travelling to testcenter 2 times when you can do it in one go.
  • Options
    I understand, and I agree there are two options, and not everyone is the same. I'm sure that's why Cisco gives us the choice :) but I definitely want to shoot for the same goal, because honestly, if you fail the composite that's another $250 yes. But, let's say you take the ICND1, $125 and fail. $125 + $125 (2nd attempt) = 250 + ICND2($125) = $375, so it all ends up in the end. The idea is just to be as prepared as possible for all possibilities, no matter which route you take and give it your best effort.