Options

Need some guidance please. Linux, Cisco, something else?

dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey guys, been awhile since I have been on here. Finished school finally and trying to figure out the next step.

Most of my work has been primarily windows infrastructure based and vmware. However, I'm trying to decide whether to study linux, cisco, or another technology next. My present job doesn't really touch base on either but I want to keep myself marketable and knowledgeable about other technologies.

Any guidance would be appreciated.
"The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates

Comments

• Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Have you looked at your local job market to gauge the desired skills in your area? It might help if your sole goal is to remain marketable in your area. Otherwise, you can do what I do and just read about different tech areas and find what interests you. I started out as a Windows Sysad but read about Cisco and got hooked on the dream. Although it wasn't a big need where I was at the time (greater Las Vegas area), I pursued it because it interested me and I ended up moving into an area (Hawaii; really, you think I'd pass that up?) where it was a sought-after skill. I think the bonus is that I actually find Cisco (and networking in general) interesting, so I know work in an area that I enjoy and I have my certification plan locked up for at least the next year icon_smile.gif
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    Start learning what interest you, and at the same time look for a job where you get exposure to whatever you're learning
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    dstock7337dstock7337 Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    SrAtechie wrote: »
    Have you looked at your local job market to gauge the desired skills in your area? It might help if your sole goal is to remain marketable in your area. Otherwise, you can do what I do and just read about different tech areas and find what interests you. I started out as a Windows Sysad but read about Cisco and got hooked on the dream. Although it wasn't a big need where I was at the time (greater Las Vegas area), I pursued it because it interested me and I ended up moving into an area (Hawaii; really, you think I'd pass that up?) where it was a sought-after skill. I think the bonus is that I actually find Cisco (and networking in general) interesting, so I know work in an area that I enjoy and I have my certification plan locked up for at least the next year icon_smile.gif

Yeah, I always keep an eye out on the market. However, my area's job market is really thin at the moment. So there isn't really anything to get a baseline from. I do have an interest in Cisco but lack the funding to purchase lab equipment. Linux interests me a bit but more of my concern was marketability since many shops are going at least to a hybrid of MS and *nix.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing." - Socrates
  • Options
    SrAtechieSrAtechie Member Posts: 150 ■□□□□□□□□□
    dstock7337 wrote: »
    Yeah, I always keep an eye out on the market. However, my area's job market is really thin at the moment. So there isn't really anything to get a baseline from. I do have an interest in Cisco but lack the funding to purchase lab equipment. Linux interests me a bit but more of my concern was marketability since many shops are going at least to a hybrid of MS and *nix.

Nothing wrong with that! It took me two years to build up my training fund to the point where it could support my Cisco habit... err, studies. I don't see anything wrong diversifying your MS experience with Linux/Unix. I myself am playing around with fedora on my laptop using vmware server (all free) just to gain some familiarity with it. Can't hurt to veer off in that direction with the low cost of entry.
    Working on: Linux+, CCNP:Switch
  • Options
    UnixGuyUnixGuy Mod Posts: 4,565 Mod
    dstock7337 wrote: »

If you want great experience with latest technology, I recommend you try getting a job with Sun partners or IBM Partners or HP Partners. There you will get a chance to do real UNIX implementations and troubleshooting, and you will build up expertise faster than working on a client base, IMHO. That, if you are really into *NIX.

Same goes for networking, try to find a job with Cisco or Juniper or Foundry partner.
    Certs: GSTRT, GPEN, GCFA, CISM, CRISC, RHCE

Learn GRC! GRC Mastery : https://grcmastery.com 

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    If you like working with VMWare and Infrastructure, some storage and/or networking would be a great complement.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...