Options

Time to move onto new job?

loxleynewloxleynew Member Posts: 405
Ok here is a background on my situation without giving much away lol. Ive worked at this company for 1.5 years and another company before that for 6 months. That's the extent of my IT work so 2 years on the resume. This is fresh out of college.

Now I went from helpdesk call center to this now jr. network/jr. sys admin position. However it is an extremely small company and I have NO work to do most of the time. I cannot even create work to do. Sure I can study but I can only take so much of that. I also make around 36k salary.

Do you all think it would be wise to start looking for a new job even in this economy with 2 years of IT experience? Also for obviously a better paying job and one that actually has work to do? The management here sometimes complains when I don't do work which is impossible not to do and I cannot sit here and study 8 hours a day and my company randomly fires people without warning jic that helps at all regardless if you were top A performer or bottom dweller.

Comments

• Options
    sambuca69sambuca69 Member Posts: 262
    loxleynew wrote: »
    Ok here is a background on my situation without giving much away lol. Ive worked at this company for 1.5 years and another company before that for 6 months. That's the extent of my IT work so 2 years on the resume. This is fresh out of college.

Now I went from helpdesk call center to this now jr. network/jr. sys admin position. However it is an extremely small company and I have NO work to do most of the time. I cannot even create work to do. Sure I can study but I can only take so much of that. I also make around 36k salary.

Do you all think it would be wise to start looking for a new job even in this economy with 2 years of IT experience? Also for obviously a better paying job and one that actually has work to do? The management here sometimes complains when I don't do work which is impossible not to do and I cannot sit here and study 8 hours a day and my company randomly fires people without warning jic that helps at all regardless if you were top A performer or bottom dweller.

Rule of thumb I've always gone by... when I start to ask myself if "it's time to move on", it's time to move on. Know what I mean?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are there any sr. admin people whom you can ask for more responsibility or offer to help? Surely something like that, or ask your boss for a new and interesting project, if you can't come up with anything on your own.

To your original question, is it a good idea to be looking? I've always been of the mindset that if it's time to move on, it's time to move on regardless of what the economy is doing or whatever. If there's something you're qualified for, great; if not, then try to make the best of your situation.

What kind of work exactly is it that you're doing as a jr. admin?
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□

If your not working steadily on projects... then someone may notice. They notice and your position could end up gone. As such, I would look.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog
  • Options
    ULWizULWiz Member Posts: 722
    I have two suggestions:

1. I would suggest you keep your job to gain a few more years of experience. Keep studying for certifications as well but dont sit and study for a long time at work. If there is nothing to do they are going to notice your not being productive which could cost you a job.

2. When it comes to moving along this might be what you need to do as well. But just keep in mind to keep the current one until you have something offered to you from somewhere else..
    CompTIA A+ Nov 25, 1997
    CompTIA Network+ March 7, 2008
    MCTS Vista 620 June 14, 2008
    MCP Server 290 Nov 15, 2008
    MCP Server 291 In Progress (Exam 12/28/09)
    Cisco CCENT In Progress
    MCP Server 291 In Progress
    C|EH In Progress
  • Options
    RTmarcRTmarc Member Posts: 1,082 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Always look busy. It doesn't matter if you are surfing the web, playing solitaire, or reconfiguring a router. Look busy. Perception is one of the number one killers. Most technology employees understand that there will be downtime - albeit rare - when there isn't much going on and you have a few free minutes. Heck, even researching the problem or solution on the web makes it look like you are goofing around. Non-technical employees do not understand that. They see you reading a book or surfing the net and immediately write you off as having nothing to do.

Second, cozy up to the senior administrator. Find out why s/he does things the way s/he does them. Dig into the configurations and environment and try to get a better feel. Be proactive on anything you can. If you know a big project is coming down the pipe start researching it. I'm of the mindset there is always something that can be done, just most of the time we don't really want to do/start it.

Always be on the lookout for something bigger and better but don't bite off more than you can chew and certainly don't shoot yourself in the foot - sorry for two cliches in a single sentence. Be discrete about looking around if you choose to do so. I also think that if you begin asking yourself if it is time to go, it probably is. I certainly think that if you wake up not liking your job then it is time to go.
  • Options
    blargoe wrote: »
    Are there any sr. admin people whom you can ask for more responsibility or offer to help? Surely something like that, or ask your boss for a new and interesting project, if you can't come up with anything on your own.

To your original question, is it a good idea to be looking? I've always been of the mindset that if it's time to move on, it's time to move on regardless of what the economy is doing or whatever. If there's something you're qualified for, great; if not, then try to make the best of your situation.

What kind of work exactly is it that you're doing as a jr. admin?

Thanks for the reply. My company is really small like 100 people. So basically everything the sr. admin does I do as well. If I wanted to tear down a server and rebuild it I could ect.

The work i'm doing is like keeping the servers up and running. Changing/adding things to AD/GPO/Exchange. Running cable for new employees and punching it down to switches. Also the small mindless things like fixing printer issues and setting up new users. Not too much as far as network goes atm more system admin unfortunatley. My company will never dish out the cash for a juniper or cisco router lol.
  • Options
    RTmarc wrote: »
    Always look busy. It doesn't matter if you are surfing the web, playing solitaire, or reconfiguring a router. Look busy. Perception is one of the number one killers. Most technology employees understand that there will be downtime - albeit rare - when there isn't much going on and you have a few free minutes. Heck, even researching the problem or solution on the web makes it look like you are goofing around. Non-technical employees do not understand that. They see you reading a book or surfing the net and immediately write you off as having nothing to do.

Second, cozy up to the senior administrator. Find out why s/he does things the way s/he does them. Dig into the configurations and environment and try to get a better feel. Be proactive on anything you can. If you know a big project is coming down the pipe start researching it. I'm of the mindset there is always something that can be done, just most of the time we don't really want to do/start it.

Always be on the lookout for something bigger and better but don't bite off more than you can chew and certainly don't shoot yourself in the foot - sorry for two cliches in a single sentence. Be discrete about looking around if you choose to do so. I also think that if you begin asking yourself if it is time to go, it probably is. I certainly think that if you wake up not liking your job then it is time to go.

Thanks this makes a lot of sense. See Ive just come to the mindset that Ive learnt all I can from this company. It's too small now to carry on with what I really want to do (network not system). It was a good foot in the door but now that I have the 2 years experience....
  • Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    sambuca69 wrote: »
    Rule of thumb I've always gone by... when I start to ask myself if "it's time to move on", it's time to move on. Know what I mean?

Exactly. During my last review with my previous company I told my manager that this was probably my last year with them. (I wouldn't recommend doing this unless you have a strong personal or mentor-type relationship with your manager). I explained why, he understood, and I left before that year was up when the right opportunity came along.

I evaluate my job on four categories. If any of them start to get too far out of line, it's time to move on.

1. For whom I work:
    Not just my boss, but also his boss and the company overall. Good managers who work for you and mentor you while giving you enough room to figure things out on your own sometimes are priceless. The culture of the company can also make a difference. However, if you get the feeling that your company is on shaky financial footing it's time to consider other options. Also, bad bosses can turn even fun and rewarding work into a miserable existence.

2. With whom I work:
    I sold computers at Best Buy during and immediately after college. I made some great friends there and working with them every day (and sometimes partying every night) made that job fun. I had a great team at my last job too. The only thing I really miss about that place was working with those guys every day.

3. The type of work:
    Staying busy on interesting projects without being overworked is fun. I stuck around that last year to get some experience that I may never have a chance at again. When they went into 'maintenance only' mode is was time to move on. I did recommend to my jr admin that he stay in order to get more experience. We had opportunities to work on all types of equipment, but when there was nothing left that I would be allowed to learn (for political reasons) I started looking around.

4. The pay
    If you're good at something, don't do it for free. It's been said around these boards that you make your money in IT by walking in the door - not by sticking around. Certs + Experience probably won't get you a fat raise in your current position - you will have to leave for a new position elsewhere to make that jump to the next level. Fortunately our industry allows you to do that.
    loxleynew wrote:
    Thanks this makes a lot of sense. See Ive just come to the mindset that Ive learnt all I can from this company. It's too small now to carry on with what I really want to do (network not system). It was a good foot in the door but now that I have the 2 years experience....

Sorry, but with only a couple of OS certs on your resume you won't have any luck landing a networking gig. I would advise you to finish off the MCSA as quickly as you can and move on to Network+/CCENT/CCNA before you start looking for a new job.
  • Options
    Claymoore wrote: »

Sorry, but with only a couple of OS certs on your resume you won't have any luck landing a networking gig. I would advise you to finish off the MCSA as quickly as you can and move on to Network+/CCENT/CCNA before you start looking for a new job.

Thanks good post. I agree I need more certs and am semi studying for CCNA and will go full blast into that once I pass my 291 to finish my MCSA in 1 month. As for network+ i'm not sure about that....
  • Options
    KaminskyKaminsky Member Posts: 1,235
    Thanks good post. I agree I need more certs and am semi studying for CCNA and will go full blast into that once I pass my 291 to finish my MCSA in 1 month. As for network+ i'm not sure about that....

You have the perfect opportunity.

Think of it this way. In 1-2 years, when hopfully things start brightening up, all those extra certs and by then, 3-4 years of bums on seat admin "through a recession" experience, you will be in a much stronger position to make a much larger job jump than if you went now and made another little baby step.

The current recession is a very seriously impacting event for those out of work. For those in a steady IT job, it is THE perfect oppotunity to prepare yourself for when it lifts.

No time to waste. Hunker down and quallie yer a$$ off ! Hopfully when it lifts, you will be in gravy and will reap all the hard work you put in right now.

Me personally, the 2012 Olympics are going to happen 20 miles away so you can guess what I am working and looking for. Imagine that on a resume. Network guy for the 2012 Olympics... could die happy on that one.
    Kam.