Options

Cisco Security Device Manager (SDM)

behbeh Member Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
I was looking over the "CCNA Exam Objectives" which I obtained somewhere on the Cisco site (can't remember exactly where), and I had a question about some of the objectives.

A few of the objectives say "including: CLI/SDM" as a parenthesized side note. Do we really have to know SDM for the CCNA test? I understand it's supposed to be more intuitive than using the command line, but I don't feel like memorizing where configuration options are if I don't have to.

I don't see how SDM fits into the test format anyways. The simulation questions involve a simulated CLI. I don't believe that testing on SDM is beneficial, so hopefully that's not the case.

Comments

• Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    By including the SDM they can expect a CCNA to be able to configure some of the more advanced features of the router, and still keep the level of difficulty reasonable for an entry level certification. icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    The SDM is only on the ICND1 exam, and from my experience a very small part at that (not sure if I'm allowed to say that or not). I had no experience whatsoever with SDM when I took the exam and just relied on what I had read in the Cisco Press book and seen on CBT Nuggets. I believe that anyone with basic computer skills can bluff their way through this part.

Can't remember exactly, but I think the book only dedicates a few pages to SDM with screenshots, so it is pretty easy to memorize even if you've never actually seen or used SDM.
  • Options
    wbosher wrote: »
    The SDM is only on the ICND1 exam, and from my experience a very small part at that (not sure if I'm allowed to say that or not). I had no experience whatsoever with SDM when I took the exam and just relied on what I had read in the Cisco Press book and seen on CBT Nuggets. I believe that anyone with basic computer skills can bluff their way through this part.

Can't remember exactly, but I think the book only dedicates a few pages to SDM with screenshots, so it is pretty easy to memorize even if you've never actually seen or used SDM.

Yeah, I was thinking I would be able to "wing it" regarding any SDM questions if I understand the concepts and am able to do the configuration under a CLI. Beyond that it seems as if it's just knowing where the configuration parameter is within the menus, etc.
  • Options
    jbrad95706 wrote: »
    By including the SDM they can expect a CCNA to be able to configure some of the more advanced features of the router, and still keep the level of difficulty reasonable for an entry level certification. icon_thumright.gif

Are there some features only accessible through SDM, or are you saying some features are just much easier to configure through it?

Can you give some examples of the "more advanced features" that you refer to? Thanks.
  • Options
    You can't do any more with the SDM than you can with the CLI. It is just simply a GUI that lets you do things in a graphical interface and click "next" instead of typing out several commands.

Very simple and if you're smart enough to be learning CCNA, you won't have any problem "winging it". icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    jbrad95706jbrad95706 Member Posts: 225
    beh wrote: »
    Are there some features only accessible through SDM, or are you saying some features are just much easier to configure through it?

Can you give some examples of the "more advanced features" that you refer to? Thanks.

The SDM is just an easy to use front end to the CLI - anything you can do with the SDM you can do in the CLI.

By advanced features I mean advanced for an entry level certification, configuring NAT, DHCP, etc... I'm not saying you will encounter these on the exam; however, they could reasonably expect you to be able to.

At least this is the explanation I was given. icon_wink.gif
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    I was looking over the "CCNA Exam Objectives" which I obtained somewhere on the Cisco site (can't remember exactly where), and I had a question about some of the objectives.

A few of the objectives say "including: CLI/SDM" as a parenthesized side note. Do we really have to know SDM for the CCNA test? I understand it's supposed to be more intuitive than using the command line, but I don't feel like memorizing where configuration options are if I don't have to.

I don't see how SDM fits into the test format anyways. The simulation questions involve a simulated CLI. I don't believe that testing on SDM is beneficial, so hopefully that's not the case.

If you can configure a linksys router through it's GUI you can do SDM config too. SDM simply is a GUI frontend for the IOS commands. I think you're pretty safe just browsing through the SDM. Just look around so you get an idea of what you can learn or configure.

No one can comment on whether SDM was on their test.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    It isn't a case of whether you'll be capable of configuring it via SDM or not since if you can do the CLI, you should be able to do SDM. What you don't want is for you to waste several minutes poking around in the various menus and options to find what you need.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    It isn't a case of whether you'll be capable of configuring it via SDM or not since if you can do the CLI, you should be able to do SDM. What you don't want is for you to waste several minutes poking around in the various menus and options to find what you need.

Fair call...but if you spend 10 minutes memorizing the screenshots in the Cisco Press book, you won't have a problem. There is no need to have any hands on experience with SDM to know enough to pass ICND1.

From what I understand there is no further use for SDM knowledge in more advanced Cisco exams, is that correct?
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    My point was that the SDM isn't that big that you could get lost in it. It's been a while since I used it, but the first page you come upon is a status page. Clicking configure at the top brings up a menu on the left labeled clearly i.e NAT, VPN, Interfaces, Routing etc.. I'd be more aware of how to install SDM, what service needs to be running on the router, things of that nature than I would of finding my way through SDM.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    It would be handy to know how to use the SDM but you most likely will never get any exam questions on it. Not for the CCNA anyway. You may need to know it for some of the stuff in CCNP exams like configuring VPNs.

I read somewhere that you see less and less of the SDM as you move up in your cisco career.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I don't see how SDM fits into the test format anyways. The simulation questions involve a simulated CLI.
    Um.... a router simulation testing on CLI configurations task may involve a simulated CLI, but a sim that involved "web access" tasks and configurations would probably have a simulated web browser and web pages. And it would probably include all the various screens so that you could waste lots of time hunting and pecking through all the menus, screens, and options -- and it would be annoyingly slow so that you'd have time to kick yourself between screen refreshes for not checking out the interface configuration options before the exam.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!