Options

PC temperatures

AndretiiAndretii Member Posts: 210
Hello everyone. I just overclocked my PC trying to get more juice out of it and I'd like some advice on the temps I'm getting from it. See the following SS and let me know if they are too high. Thanks icon_thumright.gif

comptemps.jpg
XBL: Andretii

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
VCP4 » 0%
LPIC-1 » 0%

Comments

• Options
    kalebkspkalebksp Member Posts: 1,033 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Are those idle or under load temperatures? Modern CPUs can operate just fine at 80C, but if those are idle temperatures it's going to over heat when you do something resource intensive.

To check if it's stable, run Prime95 for a while and see if it crashes.
  • Options
    They are idle temps. Just ran CSS stress test and then they went into the 80s. Gonna run Prime95 now.

thanks for the replay

"I have 16 Millions different ways of pinging myself. Sounded kind of dirty but that's not how I meant it." J. Conrad

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    If you have a newer processor(65 nm or smaller) that seems too high for idle, even if you have it overclocked. My quad core Q6600 idles around mid 30's C at stock speed.
  • Options
    It just crashed at the 3rd Prime95 test. Temps were at 100sC icon_silent.gif. Just changed the overcloking for 200mhz less.

I think i have bad cooling.

1 dumb question. Should the fans on the side be getting air in or taking air out?

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    The temperatures you've got are way too high considering it is idling. Go look up the datasheet for your CPU and graphics card to see what the limit for temperature is. Anything over 40-50 when idling is way too much.
  • Options
    kalebksp wrote: »
    Are those idle or under load temperatures? Modern CPUs can operate just fine at 80C.
    Not any recent processor I've seen. The Core 2 Quad that the OP is using has a listed maximum temperature of 62.2C according to the Intel datasheet. 80C would trip the thermal protection mechanisms.
  • Options
    djhss68djhss68 Member Posts: 205
    He probably has a P4. Those things run hot as hell.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see has a Q6600. In which case, 72 is WAY too high.
  • Options
    djhss68 wrote: »
    He probably has a P4. Those things run hot as hell.
    It says Core 2 Quad Q6600 in the screenshot. They're not supposed to go over 60C assuming stock voltages and reasonable cooling.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Andretii wrote: »
    It just crashed at the 3rd Prime95 test. Temps were at 100sC icon_silent.gif. Just changed the overcloking for 200mhz less.

1 dumb question. Should the fans on the side be getting air in or taking air out?
    Are you cooler when a fan blows on you or away from you? ;)
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Are you cooler when a fan blows on you or away from you? ;)

Depends, am I stuck in a hot box? If so, I want the fan to push the hot air out.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    im driving a 21" LCD, a 25" LCD, SIMS3, and browsing the net on the other. Also, running a pair of 10,000rpm RAPTORs for the OS, and two Western Digital 7200rpm 1tb Caviars for Data, and two DVD burners. These are all $5 120mm fans. idle all cores <37-40C. 8800GTS ~70C. Running blend test on Prime95 rose cores to 50C.

i dont know how you have designed air flow on your case. remember that hot air rises. my power supply is on the bottom back of my case COSMOS. This case has good raves and i know it will last me 10yrs like my other cases. Its (PS) intake fan is on the bottom of the case and air comes out with its built in exhaust fan on the rear of case. hottest parts of the machine are the hard drives (other than GPU) so theres a built in intake fan under them, and placed another on the front of the case for intake purposes. 8800gts has stock fan. chipset has stock fan, so does CPU (yikes). Case also has built in two snorkel fans on top of the case.

ps, illustration on the site above, click on About, then thermal, good stuffs. i like how filters are easily cleanable. sides come off so easily, thumbscrews, quite HDD mounts, etc.
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should get a professional heat sink for your CPU "if you have a professional Case".

The Q6600 works just fine @ 80 degrees, I had my CPU running on 100% load for days "Folding@Home" @ temps around 80 degrees without any issues.

Changing the case to a full tower professional case "with professional fans dropped 5 degrees.

Changing the CPU Heat sink to a professional "V" dropped almost 20 degrees .. so now at full load I'm running @ 60 degrees.
  • Options
    LaminiLamini Member Posts: 242 ■■■□□□□□□□
    i ran with stock as i built a dozen of these quad cores at work and they wouldnt justify purchases of "non intel" fans so i stuck with it... ive ran swiftech on previous amd's back in the day (not cheap) and that was great and see theyre still in bussiness

which cpu fan you running or recommend?
    CompTIA: A+ / NET+ / SEC+
    Microsoft: MCSA 2003
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »
    The Q6600 works just fine @ 80 degrees, I had my CPU running on 100% load for days "Folding@Home" @ temps around 80 degrees without any issues.
    Intel still state that it is designed for a maximum of 60C. Any higher and there is a chance that you'll damage or reduce the lifespan of the CPU. 20C higher than the Tc temperature and the thermal protection systems kick in which usually throttles or shuts down the CPU/core.

You shouldn't be getting a CPU temperature that high anyway. If you have temperatures like that then you've got heatsink or airflow issues somewhere. The TDP for a standard Q6600 shouldn't push it to 80C unless something is wrong.
  • Options
    PashPash Member Posts: 1,600 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Andretii wrote: »

As others have said your temps are too high. Make sure you have a good heatsink and fan on your CPU and the contact between CPU and the heasink is even and precise. Apply the thermal paste sparingly and dont put blobs of it on.

About the fans - The idea is to keep an air flow through your case. This means bringing air in from somewhere and then forcing it out at the back. This keeps a constant cooling on all your system parts. Also make sure you use cable ties to keep cables in place and keep the air flow moving, a smaller case means less room to work in as well, bare this in mind.
    DevOps Engineer and Security Champion. https://blog.pash.by - I am trying to find my writing style, so please bear with me.
  • Options
    Lamini wrote: »
    i ran with stock as i built a dozen of these quad cores at work and they wouldnt justify purchases of "non intel" fans so i stuck with it... ive ran swiftech on previous amd's back in the day (not cheap) and that was great and see theyre still in bussiness

You will need better cooling if you want to overclock your CPU, at stock speed the stock heatsink is more than enough.

I'm using V8 - Cooler Master

It is Huge and you will need a full tower case to be able to use it.
  • Options
    tiersten wrote: »
    Intel still state that it is designed for a maximum of 60C. Any higher and there is a chance that you'll damage or reduce the lifespan of the CPU. 20C higher than the Tc temperature and the thermal protection systems kick in which usually throttles or shuts down the CPU/core.

You shouldn't be getting a CPU temperature that high anyway. If you have temperatures like that then you've got heatsink or airflow issues somewhere. The TDP for a standard Q6600 shouldn't push it to 80C unless something is wrong.

The problem is the average temperature around here at this time of the year is around 40C .. so 40C + CPU working @ 100% load 24/7 will get you up to 80C.
    When I stop folding@home temp drops to around 45-50C
    "I never had the system shutdown due to thermal protection"

now with the V8 hopefully I will have longer CPU life :)
  • Options
    wd40 wrote: »
    The problem is the average temperature around here at this time of the year is around 40C .. so 40C + CPU working @ 100% load 24/7 will get you up to 80C.
    o.O Oh yeah. That'd do it! With temperatures like that, I think I'd shutdown if I had to do hard work :)
  • Options
    darkerosxxdarkerosxx Banned Posts: 1,343
    Lamini wrote: »

Not to derail the thead, but Lamini, I don't know if I should feel proud or ashamed that I know what your avatar represents. icon_surprised.gif
  • Options
    arwesarwes Member Posts: 633 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yep that's a tad warm for idle. I'm using a Tuniq Tower in my rig, though I had to lap (wet sand) the base of the heat sink to get it cooling decently. I've got a E2160 OC'd to around 2.9 GHz and it idles around 30c. The cooler is really tall though, it barely fits in my Cooler Master Mystique case (best $40 I ever spend on a case, and it's aluminum too)!
    [size=-2]Started WGU - BS IT:NDM on 1/1/13, finished 12/31/14
    Working on: Waiting on the mailman to bring me a diploma
    What's left: Graduation![/size]
  • Options
    Please remember that those are IDLE temps while Overclocked from 2.4 to 3.2ghz.
    I decided to fix the cooling issues of the system in the following months and then we'll see. I'll update this post later.

Thanks everyone for the responses. icon_thumright.gif

BTW. My case is a huge, heavy CoolerMaster with a lot of space 2x120mm side, 1x120mm back 1x120mm front. The processor heatsink is a very good one, or at least the ratings I remember where high 2 years ago.

Working on:
    VCP4 » 0%
    LPIC-1 » 0%