Windows, Linux...?

sandwichsandwich Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I just started college as a CS major. Recently I studied for and passed the CCNA with about a month of self study and no previous experience. Learning networking was something fun that clicked immediately and I am convinced IT is the career I want to have. I've already begun studying for the CCNP and hope to work my way up to a CCIE R&S and a second CCIE depending on the job market by the time I graduate. But other than that I'm not really sure what to pursue. Looking down the required classes for my major it seems to be concentrated on programming. The prerequisites for the networking classes put them out of my reach for another year or two.

I don't want to just be stuck in Cisco though. I'd like to hear some thoughts on what you guys think would be a good secondary set of certifications. I will most likely go for a MCSE, but after that I'm not sure where to head.

Also, I'm kind of computer...illiterate. I guess it would be best described as the math geek who turned out to not really be a math geek. Programming I have previous experience with, but for everything else (now no longer including Cisco routers and switches) I would not even know where to begin. This is keeping me away from trying to get any real experience by working something like help desk. The market is soft right now and I'm not sure what to learn in order to fulfill things like "Microsoft NT/2000/XP Workstation" on a required skills list. Maybe MCTS? Your personal experience is very welcome.

Comments

• RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Sandwich,
    First off congrats on the CCNA. I suggest you take some time to explore your alternatives in the support role.

Look at material for these certifications:
    MCSA (70-290 and 70-290 specifically)
    Enterprise Level Applications: 70-431 SQL Server and SharePoint 70-630/631
    MCTS Enterprise Support
    Linux+

I am not suggesting that you study for all of these, just that you take a look at some material for them and see what grabs you.