Mcitp:sa

cisconoobletcisconooblet Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
Just got my books, what is the recommended path of study. The numbers seem backwards to me. Should I just do them in numerical order?

640 to 642 to 646 <----by title it seems backwards to me to do AD before server admin.

or

646 to 640 to 642 <
seems logical to me but what do I know.

Or does it matter at all?
CCNA
Network+

Comments

• Hyper-MeHyper-Me Banned Posts: 2,059
    It doesnt really matter, but i think youll find that going in order the material will build on itself as it goes.

I'd start with what you feel most comfortable with to get a footing with Server 2008 in general, and then go from there.
  • cisconoobletcisconooblet Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the help. It just seems weird to do active directory first, before the server administration.
    CCNA
    Network+
  • ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    646 is a job role professional exam, not a technical exam. 640 and 642 are technical exams - hence the MCTS designation - that focus on the technical aspects of AD and Networking respectively. 646 should test what you would be expected to do and know as a Server Administrator or junior admin, which isn't the same thing as a test on the daily care and feeding of a server.

If you look at the Skills Measured section of the 646 exam, you will see that the sections begin with 'Planning' or 'Monitoring' while most of the sections in the Skills Measured tab of the 640 exam begin with 'Configuring'.

Perhaps a better way to put is 640 tests the 'How' while 646 tests the 'Why'.
  • PiersPiers Member Posts: 454 ■■■□□□□□□□
    After finishing up Server+, and based on the hands-on experience & knowledge I have gained in my role, I started with 642 and now am getting into the 640
    :study: Office 365 70-347 / 698 later
  • dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    I did 646 first. Now I'm doing 659, which is a combo of 640, 642 & 643. I did 646 first because it was less material to cover compared to the three I'm doing now, and I just wanted to get an exam under my belt. I don't think it'll matter either way.
    MCTS
    MCITP: SA & EA
    MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
    MCSA: 2000, 2003