Options

Affordable US universities

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
I want to explore attending an American university. I already have a Canadian business degree, but want to get masters or another degree in the US. Trying to research US universities seems intimidating :) I don't belong to Bill Gates family or any king, so I want to study somewhere where living costs and tuition are cheaper :)

I'm already pessimistic that high tuition and living costs will prevent me from studying in the US, but maybe someone has some advice. In the meantime I'm researching, but please share what you know.

Comments

• Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know of any specific universities to tell you, but most public universities charge lower tuition for in-state then they do for out-of-state students, and you have to live in the state where the university is located for a period of time before you qualify of in-state tuition rates. However, some of the schools that also have online programs charge the in-state rates for online students.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    nelnel Member Posts: 2,859 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Why dont you sell a kidney? :D
    Xbox Live: Bring It On

Bsc (hons) Network Computing - 1st Class
    WIP: Msc advanced networking
  • Options
    bertiebbertieb Member Posts: 1,031 ■■■■■■□□□□
    nel wrote: »

'Cos binarysoul has already sold the other one to help get through this damn recession icon_lol.gif
    The trouble with quotes on the internet is that you can never tell if they are genuine - Abraham Lincoln
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You get your degree based on the location you want to work. If it's not a top 10 (top 20 in the U.S) school then you find the one with the best regional rep. If you're loking for N.E then I'd say the boston area has 4 or 5 really strong schools. Cali also has some very good schools in L.A in terms of name recognition. Couldn't comment on there programs. Maybe look at montreal they're all outrageously cheap. Very strong business programs in canada and most students come out bilingual.

If you plan to come back to canada don't bother our system is pretty horrible for recognizing foreign degrees especially professional ones.
  • Options
    nel wrote: »

Do you need one? I can't sell it, but I can 'rent' it for one year :)
    If you do buy some place, consider buy one, get one free!

PS: My tribute to those who suffer from kidney problems!
  • Options
    beeeeeesbeeeeees Member Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'll take it. I don't need one, I just like the idea of being able to rent it....
    Did you put batteries in the UPS?...'Wait'...'I thought you did...'
  • Options
    XcluzivXcluziv Member Posts: 513 ■■■■□□□□□□
    blargoe wrote: »
    I don't know of any specific universities to tell you, but most public universities charge higher tuition for in-state then they do for out-of-state students, and you have to live in the state where the university is located for a period of time before you qualify of in-state tuition rates. However, some of the schools that also have online programs charge the in-state rates for online students.

I think you have that reveresed. Most universities charge in-state students less and the out-of-state students get charged a higher tuition. And yea, you do have to be in-state for about a year or so to receive that perk...icon_cry.gif...trust me, I know
    LINKED | GTECH | NOTHINGBUTSHAREPOINT - BLOG AUTHOR

"TRY NOT. DO. OR DO NOT. THERE IS NO TRY" - Yoda

• Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    binarysoul wrote: »
    I want to explore attending an American university. I already have a Canadian business degree, but want to get masters or another degree in the US. Trying to research US universities seems intimidating :) I don't belong to Bill Gates family or any king, so I want to study somewhere where living costs and tuition are cheaper :)

I'm already pessimistic that high tuition and living costs will prevent me from studying in the US, but maybe someone has some advice. In the meantime I'm researching, but please share what you know.

There are a ton of very good universities you could attend. You'll want to determine the way to pay for what you want first. It will not matter if you go to Harvard or Yale vs one of the State schools when everything is all done (i.e. very few people (employers) really care if your degree is from an ivy-league school or State one). I cannot recall seeing a job opportunity that stated "only Harvard grads need apply". You'll have more 'bragging' rights, but again, I have run into few people over the years who even care. You graduated...or not. You have a degree in 'x'...or not. You are a good person...or not. You can perform the job you are hired for...or not.

AND

Mr. Gates may have had the money, but dropped out of Harvard in his first year. ;)

So keep in mind, Graduation doesn't always equal success in life. YOU determine if you will have success (and maybe some intelligence and luck comes into play too ;) ).

If your heart is still set on a Degree from the US...then just like the high School kids are told...go out and visit the schools and see what you like. And for you, you'll want to add, what community do you like and can you live in for the duration of your studies? Can you find employment there to pay for your expenses? (unless you are sitting on a pile of money and this isn't an issue).

You'll want to consider (no particular order), though it is likely you have already:
    1. Travel expenses...how quickly/easily can you go home to see family/friends...or is this not a concern?
    2. How much of your current items can you move? Vs How much you want to buy new(used) here or rent a place that is furnished?
    3. What type of degree are you aiming for? And who offers that degree?
    4. Can you live in the new State for the required time to earn the 'in-State rate' for your second year? (i.e. just pay out-of-state for year 1, then establish residence...pay In-State year two).
    5. Will the costs of obtaining this US degree really yield you the return you expect in your career?
    6. Will your current credentials transfer over, granting you acceptance into a A Masters' program?
    7. Where will you work when this is done?

Honestly, I just don't see how gaining a Degree from the US will benefit you that much...perhaps you do and maybe it will. YMMV
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    PlantwizPlantwiz Mod Posts: 5,057 Mod
    GAngel wrote: »
    ..... Maybe look at montreal they're all outrageously cheap. Very strong business programs in canada and most students come out bilingual.

If you plan to come back to canada don't bother our system is pretty horrible for recognizing foreign degrees especially professional ones.

There you go!

Where do you want to end-up? If your country doesn't recognize out-of-area degrees...it's a lot of money and time for very limited gain.

Looks like you have a bit more research in your heart and your goals, first.

Good luck!
    Plantwiz
    _____
    "Grammar and spelling aren't everything, but this is a forum, not a chat room. You have plenty of time to spell out the word "you", and look just a little bit smarter." by Phaideaux

***I'll add you can Capitalize the word 'I' to show a little respect for yourself too.

'i' before 'e' except after 'c'.... weird?
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    I think you have that reveresed. Most universities charge in-state students less and the out-of-state students get charged a higher tuition. And yea, you do have to be in-state for about a year or so to receive that perk...icon_cry.gif...trust me, I know

Yes, that's what I meant... I was half asleep when I posted that.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    Xcluziv wrote: »
    State schools definitely do this - residents get charged less than nonresidents, and it takes 6 months to a year to obtain official residency. Not sure about private schools though.

One possible option: attend a community college to knock out some classes at a fraction of the price, and then once you've established residency and/or gotten either an AAS and/or got some of those core requirements out of the way, transfer to a university. It's a very common thing for US students to do. Not sure how the residency thing would work out if you're a Canadian citizen here on a student visa though - you probably want to contact some universities & see if/how that would work. When I was living in Canada as a temporary resident (on a worker's permit), I was told by universities up there that I would get charged out the yin-yang since I wasn't a citizen/resident, no matter how long I lived there, but the rules may be different here.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    kevozzkevozz Member Posts: 305 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I attended college in AL, and i think certain states give you in-state tuition if you can prove you moved there for a job or are "gainfully employed" when you register.
  • Options
    bellheadbellhead Member Posts: 120
    kevozz wrote: »
    I attended college in AL, and i think certain states give you in-state tuition if you can prove you moved there for a job or are "gainfully employed" when you register.

He will be on a student visa and will pay out of state fees regardless of residency.

What are you wanting to study?
  • Options
    Thanks folks for giving me some insight. I forgot to mention that my intention to study in the US is not simply for the sake of studying. After all, there is not much difference between US and Canadian universities (except for flashy schools such as Harvard, MIT, Stanford, etc). I want to live there for a while as I believe it's a great country.

But as I expected the high cost of tuition, especially the fact that I will be regarded an international student is an obstacle. I honestly don't have that kind of money.

What I want to study? I want to study IT Management, so something like an IT-focused MBA. Tuition fees are very low in Canada. For undergrad, you can pay about $5000/academic year (higher fees exist too). For grad school, it's anywhere from $5000 to $40000. International students of course pay higher.
  • Options
    If you are willing to pursue a doctorate in a hard science then all kinds of avenues open up for you regarding education with free tuition and a stipend for teaching undergraduate courses. Also gaining a green card after graduation is very easy with a doctorate.

But for an MBA with an IT speciality there is no hope for you there with tuition.
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    binarysoul wrote: »
    Thanks folks for giving me some insight. I forgot to mention that my intention to study in the US is not simply for the sake of studying. After all, there is not much difference between US and Canadian universities (except for flashy schools such as Harvard, MIT, Stanford, etc). I want to live there for a while as I believe it's a great country.

But as I expected the high cost of tuition, especially the fact that I will be regarded an international student is an obstacle. I honestly don't have that kind of money.

What I want to study? I want to study IT Management, so something like an IT-focused MBA. Tuition fees are very low in Canada. For undergrad, you can pay about $5000/academic year (higher fees exist too). For grad school, it's anywhere from $5000 to $40000. International students of course pay higher.
    My suggestion would still be to look at state schools. I checked out my undergrad alma mater (SUNY Stony Brook) and the rates are pretty reasonable for non-state residents: ~$14K per year (it's ~$9K/year there for state residents so that's not very much of an upcharge although it's large percentage-wise). You can get a great education at state schools and save a ton of cash by not going to a private uni.

Is there a particular region you're looking at?
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 934 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Education is long term investment. Please pick a university and major carefully... U will meet many people that you might run into at the future at the same business field or marry to someone that you might know.

In addition, the cost of tuition is very high right now. Do research and compute the expense and look for loan/scholarship/grant... It is a very difficult and competitive market.

Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    I have some more time to give you an idea on how you would be able to attend a US University free while on scholarship.

My wife did a similar program while pursuing her doctorate in literature at a state college. We also have several friends who completed comparable programs at schools throughout the country.

Graduate education is very expensive in the U.S. ranging from 15k to 60k per year, plus living expenses. Outside of a few professions the pay you receive will never allow you to pay back the student loans or your ROI out of your own pocket. So in order to attract students to a program say in electrical engineering a student is offered a 2 year scholarship for academics plus a chance to earn living money via a stipend for either lab work aka running the student lab for 10 to 15 hours a week or teaching an undergrad class or lab. The stipend is usually around $1500 a month or more if you want to pick up another class. After you complete your masters you can continue on with your Ph.d. work if you are accepted. I

This may work for you as you stated the cost of most schools is high and is out of your reach, but about half of all graduate students in the U.S. in these programs are foreign born. People around the world wonder how the U.S. maintains its lead every year in most fields and this is the biggest reason why is the U.S. leads the world in University research. Most of the graduates end up staying in the U.S. after graduation.