Options

A few Questions

WilliamNormanWilliamNorman Member Posts: 26 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello,

I am new to this forum, I am currently a computer science major and i will be graduating in December. I am interested in doing a home network and that is what got me started on cisco (My theory, if your gonna do something you might as well do it right). I have searched around this forum and another forum but still couldn't find my answers so I had just a few questions i was hoping y'all could answer.

1.) Since a lot of you on this forum are CCNA certified i was wondering if you think it is possible to teach myself this stuff or if you would recommend me taking classes some where. (My goal is to get CCNA certified eventualy but there is no time limit since it is more of a hobby at this point in my life).

2.) I also saw that there were books recommended but the date on the recommendation was 2006 so i was wondering if they are still accurate or if i should get different books.

3.) If i want to buy a lab from ebay what should i look for in the lab and about how much should i pay for it.

Thanks for the help
Bachelors of Science in Computer Science - University Of Houston (Downtown)

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    First off welcome to the forums!

1.) You can definitely self study. Most here including myself use this method with great success.

2.) I'd suggest the Cisco Press books by Odom. They were great, complete resources when I did the exam.

3.) That is the million dollar question. There are A LOT of lab threads you can read through for suggestions.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Welcome to the forums! I'm using the Odom books and going the self-study route myself. Good luck!
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Self Study. You learn more and take more serious.. Welcome to the Forums btw... Trust me do self study. I was same boat you are in 4 months ago and man the things I been learning are great.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    Does anyone know anything about this book. It has some good reviews on the internet.

Micro Center - CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 6th Edition

Thanks
  • Options
    dshay25dshay25 Member Posts: 27 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Welcome to the forums William!

For CCNA self-study I am using the Odom books myself and really enjoy them.
    WIP:
    -A.S. in Networking and Communications
    -CCENT
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    Does anyone know anything about this book. It has some good reviews on the internet.

Micro Center - CCNA: Cisco Certified Network Associate Study Guide, 6th Edition

Thanks

Some people like it, but I wouldn't use it as my main study resource. The Odom books will be the most complete resource.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Welcome to the forums!!!!

You can definitely self study. I have been studying on my own. I highly recommend the Cisco Press books. I also recommend the train signal videos. I have been self studying on my own for about 6-7 months now. I take my CCNA composite exam in November. I think you will be able to concentrate better if you self study. Lab wise, check out the forum FAQ's. It depends on how much money you want to spent. I just bought my stuff to build mine and spent about $600. That was for (2) 2650xm routers, (1) 2611xm router, (1) 1721 router, (1) 2950 switch, some WIC-1T's and a few back-to-back serial cables.
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    The Sybex book is decent I hear. The Cisco Press CCNA library by Odom is good. I think the only problem I had with the Odom book was reading frame-relay and STP. For whatever reason I didn't get it, but once you configured it and messed with it on live equipment it was easy.

What will work best for you depends on how well you can self study. I can become extremely lazy so it's probably best for me to have someone keep me on track, or at least it would be a lot more productive to have someone keep me on track. I took the first semester of the Cisco Academy that I followed by instructor, after that I did the self study route with their materials.

Lab wise, 3 routers for RIP/EIGRP/OSPF protocols and 3 switches for STP/VTP/trunking should be good enough for CCNA.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    Xenz wrote: »
    Lab wise, 3 routers for RIP/EIGRP/OSPF protocols and 3 switches for STP/VTP/trunking should be good enough for CCNA.

For frame relay do you think that three routers (one of those being a FR switch) is enough or would you recommend three routers AND a FR switch?

I currently have three 2600 routers all with WIC2T's and am wondering whether I really need to shell out for a FR switch, or if I can get by on what I have by configuring one of the 2600's as a FR switch with a router on either side.
  • Options
    XenzXenz Member Posts: 140
    I'm not too sure honestly. For your CCNA the ability to just practice basic frame-relay commands is more than enough so 2 routers + 1 being used for FR switching is enough probably. You could toss in the third router for point-to-multipoint and such, if you continue on to the CCNP the BSCI will require 3 for OSPF network type practice.
    Currently working on:
    CCNP, 70-620 Vista 70-290 Server 2003
    Packet Tracer activities and ramblings on my blog:
    http://www.sbntech.info
  • Options
    I'm still a little unclear, So i am looking for routers and switches to do a lab but i also want something i will want to use in my home network later on. So how many routers and switches do i need for CCNA, How many will i use in a home network, and which ones are better then others? Like do i want either a 2611, 2621, 2611xm router or what would you recomend? Switches as well?

Thanks
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To be honest you really don't need too much lab gear for the CCNA as you really are just doing the basic commands. You can get by with simulation software. Well at least i did anyway. I know its not quite the real thing but its the best way to get started and learn the Cisco IOS commands. Only after you have the CCNA should you seriously be looking at some real gear, although for the CCNA i did have one router and a switch just to get some practice on some real gear.

As for books, i found Todd Lammles CCNA sybex guide best to begin with and Odoms to be best for more detail.

If you are doing self study then definitely get some training videos. The CBT nuggets videos are excellent, the guy makes learning fun. Train signal is also well worth a look.
  • Options
    Cool, Thanks for the info. I am looking at both the cisco press books and todd's book. I understand about the simulation and i am looking in to it but i also would like to know more about the routers and switches like i last posted. What would be the best for long term home networking yet is usable for the labs? I just have know idea about the hardware, What is good/What is overkill - How many routers/Switches i would need for a home network? You know stuff like that. I am just trying to find out some info.

Thanks
  • Options
    wbosher wrote: »

Great Info.

Thanks!