Coming up for air...

I just finished studying the MS Press kit for 70-640 (AD) and I started 642 today (Networking). The amount to study for the 649 test is a LOT! My brain's fried today, so I'm doing some ranting...

-The new Windows Server Backup tool is idiotic and useless. So many odd restrictions. You can do a manual backup to a file share, but not a scheduled one. It won't backup to tape. Blah blah blah. I never used the previous Windows backup tools, and so I guess that'll continue. Veritas has been good to me.

-I work for a small company with 3 sites, 2 domains, <100 users. We don't use Terminal Services, rarely use certificates, don't us AD FS, AD RMS, and I seldom use the server command line tools. Guess what my weak areas are? Hah. Technically, I don't even fit the target audience for an MCITP:EA. I never fit the audience for an MCSE either, but that never stopped me. So much to learn.

-The 646 book I studied spent a lot of time on Site-local IPv6 addresses (fec0). The 640 book says they're being "depreciated". Wow, that was quick!

-I've never been particularly good at exams. I've always passed 'em, but usually 700s-low 800s. I'm not looking forward to 70-649. I did 200 questions on the Measure Up test for the 70-640 AD, and got 150 correct (750), so I guess I did OK. Still have a long way to go.

OK, break over, I'm diving back in...
MCTS
MCITP: SA & EA
MCSE: NT, 2000, 2003
MCSA: 2000, 2003

Comments

• SRTMCSESRTMCSE Member Posts: 249
    You "can" do a scheduled backup to a file share, but only by using wbadmin and the required arguments in a scheduled task. I didn't see any questions about that specifically on either 70-649 or 646, but it was mentioned in the MS Press kit for 70-646.

But yes, the new backup tool is idiotic for anything beyond a tiny shop, thank God it's a feature and never installed unless you use it. I can see how a small business w/ 1-3 servers could take advantage of it.
  • dfosbennerdfosbenner Member Posts: 106
    SRTMCSE wrote: »
    You "can" do a scheduled backup to a file share, but only by using wbadmin and the required arguments in a scheduled task.
    Very good, I forgot about that.

I'm tearing through 70-642 now, I'm MUCH more comfortable with this stuff.

I think my rank is 642=very good, 640=ok, 643=run for the hills. I will have to spend a lot of time on 643.
    MCTS
  • GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    dfosbenner wrote: »
    Very good, I forgot about that.

I'm tearing through 70-642 now, I'm MUCH more comfortable with this stuff.

I think my rank is 642=very good, 640=ok, 643=run for the hills. I will have to spend a lot of time on 643.

643 was the best out of all of them for me in terms of learning new things.
    4 chapters to go in the MS Press 70-642 book. The chapter on Federation Services, and the chapter on NAP left my brain numb. There's a billion steps for these services, and these chapters did what amounts to a flyover followed by a bunch of recipes. I have a feeling these will be my achilles heel at exam time!
    MCTS
  • StarkeStarke Member Posts: 86 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Who honestly used Windows Backup (NTBACKUP) any way. I'm glad they are forcing more people to third party.
    MCSA: Windows Server 2012 - MCITP (SA, EA, EMA) - CCA (XD4, XD5, XS5, XS6) - VCP 4
  • BradHBradH Member Posts: 160
    dfosbenner wrote: »
    4 chapters to go in the MS Press 70-642 book. The chapter on Federation Services, and the chapter on NAP left my brain numb. There's a billion steps for these services, and these chapters did what amounts to a flyover followed by a bunch of recipes. I have a feeling these will be my achilles heel at exam time!

NAP was a bane for me as well until I did the virtual labs on Microsoft's site.

TechNet Virtual Lab: Understanding NAP in Windows Server 2008

Highly recommend having a look at this as it gets your head into the perspective of what NAP can do.
    EA Path - 70-643 - Passed - 70-680 - Passed - 70-647 - To Complete
    Excellent Brad, thank you!!
    MCTS