Options

When will new MCDST come out

grayfox587grayfox587 Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 48 ■■□□□□□□□□
just wondering when will the current MCDST come out, i just want to make sure i dont start studying for the exams and they retire it or change it, i tried searching on microsoft but didnt find any information on when it would change

any information is greatly appreciated

on a side note, which test is reccomended i study for first?

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    It's now the MCITP: Enterprise Support Technician, and there's an upgrade exam from the MCDST. There are a few other variations coming with Windows 7 as well.
  • Options
    oh, so which exams do i need to take? and do you think it will be a while before they are replaced. I remember seeing on here that included the mcdst and passing another exam will give you for certs? i have it book marked on one of my computers, so ill try to get the info
  • Options
    70-621 will upgrade an MCDST to an MCITP:EST.

Some Win7 exams are already available, and I'd expect the other tracks to be finalized over the next few months. Win7 is being released to the public on 10/22/09. It might be in your best interest to just start learning Win7, although, nearly everything you learn about Vista will also be applicable to Win7.
  • Options
    so dynamik i should complete 70-271 first then the 70-272 to become a MCDST as microsoft says and then complete the other exams to upgrade to a mcse or mcsa(this will be along time from now)

stupid question i know, i just want to make sure the exams wont retire anytime soon, because it will take me a while to finish the 70-271. Or whatever exams i need to take, I currently have a helpdesk internship(no calls tho, but i do general IT work, and would like to get a cert to land me a actual helpdesk job when i graduate college, while upgrading that cert to a MCSE
  • Options
    271 and 272 will probably be around at least another 18 months or so. 621 will upgrade an MCDST to an MCITP: EST. There is no upgrade to MCSA/E, but the MCDST will count as an elective for the MCSA.
  • Options
    hmmm, no upgrade option, then do you think it would be more beneficial just to go right for my MCSE or MCSA? As i said i would just like to land a helpdesk job when i graduate, with intentions on moving up working with servers or landing a job at a small company being their admin

heh, sorry for so many questions, i been at a crossroads for a while, whether to do my ccna or mcse, i think i have decided that the mcse will be more beneficial

ah, maybe ill just do mcdst and then move on to ccna, so many decisions, so little time
  • Options
    The MCDST would probably be a good starting place. Otherwise, your certs will outrank your experience if you get something like and MCSA/E. Also, 621 will count anywhere you see 620, so that will count as your client exam, the MCDST will count as your elective, and you'll only need 290 and 291 to be an MCSA.
  • Options
    okay MCDST it is, thanks man, i appreciate the advice