Options

Where to start?

harkle3harkle3 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
After being unemployed for about 14 months from my factory job (company contracted to Chrysler in making their mini van car seats for 12 years). And then taking advantage of TRA money for obtaining certifications (A+, Network+, Security+, MCP, MCSA).

I am a little confused on how to start out in looking for an IT job. Yes I know that I am more likely going to have to spend a little time doing help desk to build up my IT experience. But other than that do any of you have any advice on what else I should be looking for specifically?

As for my future goals I intend to get my MCSE, and look into Oracle, Linux, and CeH.

Thank you for any advice you can offer.

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What I did, I found a job at a smaller business where my actual role was something else, but I was also in charge of all the IT stuff since they didn't have anyone else doing that. It allowed me to build up some experience over a few years. Otherwise, help desk is the typical place to start. You could also try volunteering to build up some experience as well.
  • Options
    rsuttonrsutton Member Posts: 1,029 ■■■■■□□□□□
    It would be good to find a Help Desk job that gives you hands on experience with AD/Exchange if you plan on moving in to the ranks of Systems Admin. If you are looking to be a DBA then try and find something that gives you hands on experience with that. Like dynamik pointed out, a smaller company will often times let you wear more hats so you will gain more experience.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!
  • Options
    t3ch_gurut3ch_guru Member Posts: 166
    Yeah definitely. Do like me and get a IT Intern with a company. The company I work for is pretty big but the corporate IT shop is small. I got my hands on everything. I'm doing sys admin/pc tech/dba over here. I am learning a lot. Where as in a Help Desk job you would not be able to do so. I have never held a Help Desk job before, but where I currently work I am Domain Admin and can do anything. Its a huge stepping stone. Good luck.
    Knowledge is Power.