Options

Went on an interview, should i contact them now?

TheFORCETheFORCE Member Posts: 2,297 ■■■■■■■■□□
I went on an interview for a big company in new york, their HQ is in the city. Anyway, the resume was passed to them from my neighbor since he knows the IT director. I had the interview directly with the IT director and then he invited 2 more guys that i'd supposedly work with if i was hired. The 2 other guys asked questions also. At the end they told me that they will be going to UK to relocate 1 of their office there and that they will be back in 5-6 days and that i should be getting a phone call from them when they get back for a second interview. They also told me that i was on the short list of the people that they would be calling back for a second interview. Its been 2 weeks since then and i have not gotten any phone calls or emails. The funny thing is, i already had a guaranteed job with my old company but i was waiting for the phone call and now my old company has already hired someone. Now im still searching.

Anyway, the reason im posting this is, should i try and contact them on monday, maybe send them an email or call them or something?

Comments

• Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd call them for sure. Sounds like a busy time for the company and it may have just been pushed aside. At least you learned to never pass up a sure thing for a maybe.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    More than enough time has passed to warrant a call back.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    AldurAldur Member Posts: 1,460
    I would agree with everybody else here. They said a week and it's been two. If you call them there is really no possible way that they can feel like you're hounding them.

More then likely the company is really busy and taking care of hiring matters is the last thing on their minds. So give them a call, let them know you're still interested. If anything it will show that you keep on top of things which is always a good thing to any employer.

Let us know how it goes.
    "Bribe is such an ugly word. I prefer extortion. The X makes it sound cool."

-Bender
  • Options
    You guys think is should call them or just send them an email? The email is not very personal and they might not even read it but the phone call on the other side is also distracting for them if i call im going to call the IT director he might still be busy or not have time to talk on the phone?
  • Options
    skrpuneskrpune Member Posts: 1,409
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    You guys think is should call them or just send them an email? The email is not very personal and they might not even read it but the phone call on the other side is also distracting for them if i call im going to call the IT director he might still be busy or not have time to talk on the phone?
    If I were the IT director, I'd appreciate communication in email form instead of phone call...he's probably busy, and also there's less on the spot pressure if you email instead of call.

I'd just send a friendly follow up, thanking them for their time and for the opportunity and gently asking if there's been any update on the position.
    Currently Studying For: Nothing (cert-wise, anyway)
    Next Up: Security+, 291?

Enrolled in Masters program: CS 2011 expected completion
  • Options
    skrpune wrote: »
    If I were the IT director, I'd appreciate communication in email form instead of phone call...he's probably busy, and also there's less on the spot pressure if you email instead of call.

I'd just send a friendly follow up, thanking them for their time and for the opportunity and gently asking if there's been any update on the position.

Thanks for the reply man what you just said sound great, thats what i will do.
  • Options
    networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    I'd disagree and say call them. An email easily gets buried with the amount of emails that get sent these days. Especially to a director. They probably get copied on hundreds a day. If you call them you know they at least put more than one second of thought into it. I know I would be more responsive to a candidate that took the initiative to call rather than just email.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.