Options

EC-Council University| Masters of Security Science

Seems like they are offering and academic route: Master of Security Science. Credits will be awarded for EC-Council certification programs only. Certifications from other providers will not be accepted.

I dont know about you guys but i am very interested. What do you guys think?

ECCUNI | Home
The Begining Of Wisdom Is "I Don't Know".

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't think it's accredited or really well respected. I was excited when I heard about that too, but there are much better InfoSec Masters out there.
  • Options
    JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,028 Admin
    It really depends on how good the program is versus how much the degree costs in total--including the interest paid towards your student loan. You then must factor in how the degree will increase your chances of getting (and keeping) employment. It usually takes new degree program many years to get any positive recognition from the business community.

I agree with dynamik about the important of accreditation. In the USA, any institution can get a state accreditation and create a "Masters degree" program. SANS has a Masters degree program, and it is (currently) only accredited in the state of Maryland. A degree whose academic units are recognized by other universities requires regional accreditation from CHEA, and this takes years to achieve. So it is very likely that if you do get this Master degree, it won't be recognized by any employers or universities in the USA.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I looked at the Board of Regent, just don't see any strong representatives yet... We will see as the program moving forward..
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    GAngelGAngel Member Posts: 708 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Surely this is a piss take icon_confused.gif:.
    $21,500 for a program thats only accredited in new mexico and who's certs are still barely heard of in the industry.
  • Options
    I wish Keatron was still active here. He has some deep contacts into EC-Council. He'd have a lot more details on their degree program.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    JDMurray wrote: »
    I wish Keatron was still active here. He has some deep contacts into EC-Council. He'd have a lot more details on their degree program.

I wish he was as well. I learned alot today from just reading his comments about InfoSec jobs, and the education required. I sent him a PM today asking for his thoughts on something.
  • Options
    veritas_libertasveritas_libertas Member Posts: 5,746 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Maybe since Keatron is back he might know more about this? I won't touch it since it is not regionally accredited, but if that changed in a few years I might consider it.
  • Options
    sys_tecksys_teck Member Posts: 130 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi,

I agree with Dynamik and JD. It not well known. I hope that Keatron has some reviews on this one. Since he is the one of well informed people here.
    working on CCNA
  • Options
    j_a_s_o_nj_a_s_o_n Member Posts: 75 ■■□□□□□□□□
    It's all about the accreditation. At the very least, you want a school to be regionally accredited. From a similar discussion over at ethicalhacker.net a while back, I recall someone saying that EC Council was trying for better accreditation, but this takes time. Same goes for the SANS program. I wouldn't touch either of them with a stick until they get into better shape.
  • Options
    j_a_s_o_n wrote: »
    It's all about the accreditation.
    Mostly if you care that the academic units will transfer to other colleges and universities. If a program isn't planning to get CHEA accreditation then it might still be worth a look if the learning is really good or unique.
    j_a_s_o_n wrote: »
    Same goes for the SANS program. I wouldn't touch either of them with a stick until they get into better shape.
    Last I heard, the SANS Masters program was hoping to get CHEA accreditation in 2011 and NSA/ACE standing in 2012. I bet their cost will go up once they do.