Options

ip default-network command

SB-KSB-K Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good day,

I understand that with the ip default-network command the default route is injected through the routing protocol and therefore does not need to be redistributed as in the case of the static default route.

When i create a default route however using the ip default-network command i am only seeing it on the router that i created it on with s and not s*. Even though rip or eigrp is turned on, the default route does not appear in the other routers routing table. Am i leaving out something?

Thank you

Comments

• Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Check the routing tables of the other router. You should see a default route that is created in their routing table. Whenever I checked this yesterday on another post, my routing table showed * 0.0.0.0 etc.... giving a default route via the particular interface that was connected to the router on which I configured the ip default-network command.

Here is a sample where I configured RIPv2.

R1#show ip route

Gateway of last resort is 192.168.1.1 to network 0.0.0.0

C 192.168.1.0/24 is directly connected, Serial0/0
    R* 0.0.0.0/0 [120/1] via 192.168.1.1, 00:00:16, Serial0/0

*NOTE: As you can see the default route is saying for any network not found in the routing table, please forward via 192.168.1.1 (Serial0/0 exit interface).

On GWR (My main gateway router), I configured the command ip default-network 64.5.2.0, which would be a remote network on a different location. As you can see it passed the information via RIPv2. Here is my routing table for GWR:

C 64.0.0.0/8 is directly connected, Serial0/0
    C 192.168.1.0/24 is directly connected, Serial0/1

As you can see the 64.0.0.0 network is connected via Serial 0/0 to the GWR router. But, I did not implement this specific network when configuring RIPv2. I just configured it using the ip default-network command.

I hope that helps you understand it a little better. :)