Options

Strange issue with Web Mail

Megadeth4168Megadeth4168 Member Posts: 2,157
My Mother's computer is having an odd issue with Yahoo mail. She can't send/reply to certain people, everyone else is fine. The weird thing is, that it's just that computer, she can use my computer, or my fathers computer and it works fine.

To try and resolve the issue, We resorted to formatting the machine and reinstalling Windows XP Pro. With no change in results. I've tried new browsers, disabled Windows Firewall, all of this before reinstalling any 3rd party security software. This computer is a newer computer and the issue only started happening when she got this computer.

Oh, I've also tried updated drivers for the NIC. I have not yet installed a new NIC. The next thing I want to try when I go over there next, is to boot up from a Knoppix CD and see how it works.

I'm just curious if anyone else has seen this issue.

Comments

• Options
    undomielundomiel Member Posts: 2,818
    Tried several different browsers on the system?
    Jumping on the IT blogging band wagon -- http://www.jefferyland.com/
  • Options
    undomiel wrote: »
    Tried several different browsers on the system?

Tried sending mail to the 3 or 4 people in the address book using FireFox, IE7, IE8 and Chrome.

It's just 3 or 4 people, just from the one computer.
  • Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    Tried sending mail to the 3 or 4 people in the address book using FireFox, IE7, IE8 and Chrome.

It's just 3 or 4 people, just from the one computer.

Check to see if those 3 or 4 people are somehow in her SPAM list, not too familiar with yahoo but I believe you can block incoming e-mail from people, and in effect block yourself from e-mailing them.
  • Options
    WilliamK99 wrote: »
    Check to see if those 3 or 4 people are somehow in her SPAM list, not too familiar with yahoo but I believe you can block incoming e-mail from people, and in effect block yourself from e-mailing them.

I will check, but I don't think that explains how it can work on a different computer. I would imagine that the web mail would keep those settings associated with your account, not your computer.
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    What exactly is happening? Is the message being sent and never received? Does she get an error when she tries to send?
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    What exactly is happening? Is the message being sent and never received? Does she get an error when she tries to send?

There is no error upon sending, it shows in the sent box, but the recipient never receives the message.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    There is no error upon sending, it shows in the sent box, but the recipient never receives the message.

If you find the answer for this, please post it. This is one of the oddest things I have ever heard. I mean the mail is being sent from the server, your client is only communicating via HTTP to the server.... How could the client machine cause an error like this? Can you post the error message?

Is it always the same email addresses?
    Are they coming from the contacts list or frequently sent drop down? If so try sending by typing manually.

Good luck!

<Edit> I see you said there is NO error message... Sorry. Run wireshark while trying to send the message to one of the bad users and to a known good user.
  • Options
    If you find the answer for this, please post it. This is one of the oddest things I have ever heard. I mean the mail is being sent from the server, your client is only communicating via HTTP to the server.... How could the client machine cause an error like this? Can you post the error message?

Is it always the same email addresses?
    Are they coming from the contacts list or frequently sent drop down? If so try sending by typing manually.

Good luck!

I have to see an actual error unfortunately, I suppose I could see if I can learn anything new by using Wireshark or something.... There is a Netgear 5 port Cable/DSL router that all the computers are hooked up to. I could review any logs in there, or have the computer put on a different physical port. I know I'm reaching a bit here, but I'm really scartching my head on this one. As you said, it should be sending from the server via HTTP.

As far as I've seen so far, it is always the same email addresses that do not receive the messages. We have tried sending via Reply, Address Book Drop Down and manually typing in the email address.
  • Options
    RobertKaucherRobertKaucher Member Posts: 4,299 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Also, try sending to those addresses from another webmail service. Crazy, just insane...
  • Options
    Also, try sending to those addresses from another webmail service. Crazy, just insane...

I'll let you know, I won't be back out there again until Sunday though.