Options

New Job

AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
Kinda weird after making it to Certified Gold Partner with MS, but I just landed a new permanant position at a larger consulting firm. My firm isn't gonig away... but sometimes it is nice not to be dealing with everything.

It is kinda funny though, I started my company because I couldn't find a job. My company makes a major certification and... I get a different job.

I start on the 31st as a Sr. Systems Engineer. Looking forward to it.
Ashenwelt
-Always working on something...
-The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog

Comments

• Options
    ClaymooreClaymoore Member Posts: 1,637
    Congratulations!

Jobs are like girlfriends - they're easier to find when you already have one. (Or is it 'don't leave one until you have another', I can never remember.)

As long as the side work from your company doesn't interfere with the new job, the extra cash will always come in handy.
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Good Luck
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn
  • Options
    thomas130thomas130 Member Posts: 184
    Claymoore wrote: »
    Congratulations!

Jobs are like girlfriends - they're easier to find when you already have one. (Or is it 'don't leave one until you have another', I can never remember.)

Lol
  • Options
    msteinhilbermsteinhilber Member Posts: 1,480 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!

Is your new employer aware of your existing business? I would be extremely concerned about keeping going with my own venture while also working for a consulting firm. Even if you spoke to somebody who gave you the "OK, sure no problem at all" there is far too much room for big problems later on. There may be other management that are not OK with you having your own business outside of their own firm, and rightfully so since you could easily attempt to steal clients if you wanted to.

My opinion, if this permanent position is the better deal for you rather than running your own business then by all means stick with the permanent job. But I would completely ignore the fact that I owned my own business. My wife and I also own our own business primarily for side jobs but we like to keep things legit and keep us protected. If I were to take a consulting job it would be a conflict of interest with my own business. If it was worthwhile (and it probably would be since I'm just small side jobs) I would dissolve our LLC and close out the bank account, after I made it clear to my prospective employer that I have a business on the side but I would dissolve the company and cease operations pending a job offer. That's just my paranoia though, I don't like to take chances in today's world - all too easy to have something turn up unexpected down the road and send you packing your things.
  • Options
    AshenweltAshenwelt Member Posts: 266 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!

Is your new employer aware of your existing business? I would be extremely concerned about keeping going with my own venture while also working for a consulting firm. Even if you spoke to somebody who gave you the "OK, sure no problem at all" there is far too much room for big problems later on. There may be other management that are not OK with you having your own business outside of their own firm, and rightfully so since you could easily attempt to steal clients if you wanted to.

My opinion, if this permanent position is the better deal for you rather than running your own business then by all means stick with the permanent job. But I would completely ignore the fact that I owned my own business. My wife and I also own our own business primarily for side jobs but we like to keep things legit and keep us protected. If I were to take a consulting job it would be a conflict of interest with my own business. If it was worthwhile (and it probably would be since I'm just small side jobs) I would dissolve our LLC and close out the bank account, after I made it clear to my prospective employer that I have a business on the side but I would dissolve the company and cease operations pending a job offer. That's just my paranoia though, I don't like to take chances in today's world - all too easy to have something turn up unexpected down the road and send you packing your things.

They do know, and I figured I would just let everyone else work in their local markets. I don't want to compete in their market, and they know that.
    Ashenwelt
    -Always working on something...
    -The RepAdmin Active Directory Blog