Options

access lists

SB-KSB-K Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
Good Day,

In this command access-list 120 permit ip any any from what i've read it would appear as though the first any is in reference to the source address and the last any is the destination. I am not however sure how to use them. Could someone please explain to me how it works?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    WilliamK99WilliamK99 Member Posts: 278
    You are correct, in access lists you can specify a specific device or a network, or even all by using any.

access-list 120 permit ip host 10.10.10.1 0.0.0.255 any

The command I typed before allows only this specific ip address access to any network, of course by using deny, you prevent this device from accessing any network.

What you showed is a blanket statement you use after most deny extended access-lists to allow all other traffic to, because of the implicit deny statement at the end of all access lists.

Let me know if you need further clarification.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    SB-K wrote: »
    Good Day,

In this command access-list 120 permit ip any any from what i've read it would appear as though the first any is in reference to the source address and the last any is the destination. I am not however sure how to use them. Could someone please explain to me how it works?

Thanks

Seriously, do some research on topics before asking such broad questions.
    Everyone is willing to help, but it appears from the line of questions you keep asking you are expecting some one on one tutoring.
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    Thanks WilliamsK99 that really clarified things.
  • Options
    I actually do my own research, as you might have seen from my line of questions i state what i know based on what i have read and then i mention at what point i do no not undertstand so i can get clarification from more knowledge people than myself at this forum.

Some books are not all that simple to read and understand they do not speak down to average people such as myself. That is why i like this forum. Persons here can take complex topics and break it down so even a three year old can understand.

Based on the response i got from Williamsk99 its obvious that the question was not too broad as he answered it simplier than any book or site that i've read.

I do not require a one on one tutoring i just ask questions that i need clarification on like anyone else. If i am breaking any rules please let me know.
  • Options
    blackninjablackninja Member Posts: 385
    Hi SB-K, welcome to the forum :)

Although you are not breaking any rules when asking your questions, you do seem to ask questions that would be answered if you where studying from either Todd Lammle's or Wendell Odom's books.

If you havn't already I would recommend getting Wendell Odom's books and CBT nuggets, then almost all will become clear(ish).

We are a very helpful bunch here and we'll help when we can.
    Currently studying:
    CCIE R&S - using INE workbooks & videos

Currently reading:
    Everything. Twice ;)
  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    I've seen these in places in the work force, our VPN users that are contractors are assigned access lists when they connect to our network. I'll have to dig around, I need a little bit more to grasp them as well. You guys are always so helpful here :)
  • Options
    Hi Blackninja

It is nice to know that there are still people out there who can correct you without trying to be insulting. I'll construct my questions more to the forums liking.

Value all your help, Thanks.
  • Options
    wbosherwbosher Member Posts: 422
    CBT Nuggets is a great place to start. Everything is explained so that "a three year old" could understand. icon_wink.gif

It does lack the detail as some other video series' and books, such as the Cisco Press book, but it is a great base to work from.
  • Options
    skwira001skwira001 Member Posts: 94 ■■■□□□□□□□
    To goes source to destiniatoin. The same is true with the copy command in DOS. copy c:\myfiles c:\myfiles_backup c:\myfiles is the source c:\myfiles_backup is the destiniation. Most of the time it will be that way.
  • Options
    miller811miller811 Member Posts: 897
    Hi Blackninja

It is nice to know that there are still people out there who can correct you without trying to be insulting. I'll construct my questions more to the forums liking.

Value all your help, Thanks.

Dude, I am trying to help you not insult you, icon_sad.gifeveryone needs clarification on certain topics.
    Search, Research, Google, Cisco.com are all great resources...icon_study.gif

The point I was trying to make that a few of your questions did not lead "ME" to believe that you were giving it your best shot.

see below

"Can someone please kindly tell me what console messages with regards to router is."

"Could someone please provide a simple explanation for exec and incoming banners. "
    I don't claim to be an expert, but I sure would like to become one someday.

Quest for 11K pages read in 2011
    Page Count total to date - 1283
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Could someone please explain to me how it works?
    What are you using to study for the CCNA? If we at least had a clue what you were using then maybe we could point out where the answer is -- or point to a better resource that actually has the information.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    Mark KnutsonMark Knutson Member Posts: 73 ■■□□□□□□□□
    blackninja wrote: »
    Hi SB-K, welcome to the forum :)

Although you are not breaking any rules when asking your questions, you do seem to ask questions that would be answered if you where studying from either Todd Lammle's or Wendell Odom's books. ..

I had the same thought.
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    This link may be of some help to you.

Let me google that for you
  • Options
    peanutnogginpeanutnoggin Member Posts: 1,096 ■■■□□□□□□□
    mella060 wrote: »
    This link may be of some help to you.

Let me google that for you

****OFF TOPIC****

Mella, thanks for that link... I hadn't seen that before. Very interesting.

V/r

~Peanut
    We cannot have a superior democracy with an inferior education system!

-Mayor Cory Booker