Options

CCNA Security or SNAF

cjthedj45cjthedj45 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi,

I recently qualified as a CCNA and I'm pondering my next certification step. I was hoping to get some advice from you Ladies and Gents.

I will just tell you a bit about me and my current level of experience. I have worked in IT for about the last 7 years mainly doing desktop support but this has seen me getting involved in Windows System admin and 3rd line support. In my current role an opportunity came up to work in a network role although I'm still expected to work as desktop engineer it’s 50/50 at the moment. In terms of actual Cisco networking experience I have a few months hands on and everything I learned studying the CCNA.

I’m now in a position where I have started to pick the business as usual network tasks. A lot of the work is based around making firewall changes where I’m creating access lists etc and this is on Cisco ASA’s and Checkpoint firewalls. In the CCNA I have learned how to configure access lists on routers and the commands are different to those on the ASA’s. As I’m doing a lot of this type of work I wondering whether it’s worth me getting a CCNA security or SNAF. I have looked at both and CCNA seems to be more general and I know a few of the exam topics already. The SNAF seems to be more specific to my job role and I think this cert would really support my current job requirement. I have spoken with the Senior Network engineer and he seems to think the CCNA security would be better as the SNAF maybe too big a jump. I do intend on becoming a CCNP but at the moment I think a security cert would support my current job role better.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Are you looking at the CCSP? The CCNA:S is a prerequisite for that, so you might as well start with that one.
  • Options
    dynamik wrote: »
    Are you looking at the CCSP? The CCNA:S is a prerequisite for that, so you might as well start with that one.

Hi Dynamik,

Well I wasn't actually looking at becoming a CCSP just yet. I just wanted to do some studying in the Cisco firewall area to make me more knowledgable and to help me perform the tasks I'm doing in my job. The security side does interest me but I have always been advised that the best route is CCNA then CCNP to get a good solid grounding in networking then possibly branch out. I thought that I could use the CCNA as a Prerequisite for the SNAF certification I did not realise that I would have to do the CCNA Security?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    You can do SNAF without taking CCNA:S; I'm just not sure what the point would be though. There are a couple of good ASA books you can get as well. You don't need to pursue the certification just because you're working with them.
  • Options
    laidbackfreaklaidbackfreak Member Posts: 991
    I would go for the CCNA -s as a certification as I believe it's a nice intro exam.

You can then study\read further into the areas that you need a deeper understanding of. Leaves you open to take more certs on the route should to SP should you want to.

Of course you can take the SNAF now but you will need to come back to the NA-s at some point should you decide to persue the SP route.

I have a feeling unlike the NP or VP route that you do get a certificate for each exam you pass for the SP route you just dont get the SP certification untill you pass them all. But I could well be wrong, I'm sure someone will be along to correct me otherwise. icon_smile.gif
    if I say something that can be taken one of two ways and one of them offends, I usually mean the other one :-)
  • Options
    Thanks guys for the advice. I think I may go for the CCNA security. Our Senior Network Engineer thinks this would be a good step and to wait until I have a years experience before doing the CCNP. I believe the CCNA security is fairly new do you guys know of any recommneded training resources I.E books, CBT's etc.

Thanks