Options

Sr College Student, IT Major, No Experience, Help!

NC_336ITNC_336IT Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
Let me start by saying wow @ this website/forum...I don't even know how I came across this place but it seems like heaven, I've been considering certifications for a couple of months now and to find this site seems like a blessing.

About Me:
Senior Information Technology Student
GPA: 2.91
About 80% Sure I want to pursue a career in networking

Due to my GPA and other outside circumstances I was unable to obtain an internship(most require a 3.0). I could never be too active in attending department meeting and career seminars due to working part-time to provide for myself and also during college I slowly lost two immediate family members that I've known since birth.

At my university there are no more opportunities at the campus help desk, I was sure last year I could get this position but unfortunately due to budget cuts this position no longer exists.

There is no way for me to possibly gain 'experience' anymore and I need some advice. I was wondering if obtaining certifications would possibly gear me towards landing a position in the IT field.

I contacted NEW HORIZONS which is a learning center that offers training and its a little expensive IMO, I'm only a regular 21 year old college student, money doesnt grow on treesicon_lol.gif

They offer:
A+ Essentials/IT Technician(220-602) and Network+ Course Package for $3,999

A+ Essentials/IT Technician(220-602), Network+, CCENT 640-822, CCNA 640-816 for $4,999

They offer other programs but currently those are the two I am considering due to the prices of the programs.

Are these certifications worth it? How for could my Bachelor degree in IT take me paired with a couple of certifications??

Sorry for a partially long read. Thanks in advanceicon_mrgreen.gif

Comments

• Options
    Jason0352Jason0352 Member Posts: 59 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Whatever you do, DO NOT pay money for a class in A+/Net+/CCNA. There is no reason why you can't buy some cheap books/equipment for each certification track and learn all that is needed on your own. Your about to graduate college so a little initiative shouldn't be hard to find.

Here are some recommended books. For the A+/Net+ I wouldn't think you would need anything else as these tests are pretty simple.

A+
    Amazon.com: CompTIA A+ Certification All-in-One Exam Guide, Sixth Edition (9780072263114): Michael Meyers: Books

Net+
    Amazon.com: CompTIA Network+ Study Guide: Exam N10-004 (9780470427477): Todd Lammle: Books

Cisco is where the fun starts! CCENT/ICND1 can be completed with a mixture of reading material and or packet tracer/real equipment.
    A good book I recommend is:
    Amazon.com: CCENT: Cisco Certified Entry Networking Technician Study Guide: ICND1 (Exam 640-822) (Exam 640-822 With CD) (9780470247020): Todd Lammle: Books

CCNA/ICND2 is what I'm currently engaged in. The material is very interesting and requires a bit more effort. The book I'm using is:
    Amazon.com: CCNA ICND2 Official Exam Certification Guide (CCNA Exams 640-816 and 640-802) (2nd Edition) (9781587201813): Wendell Odom: Books

I have also purchased 3 Cisco 2950 switches and 3 26XX routers off of ebay to get some real experience with the hardware.
  • Options
    EssendonEssendon Member Posts: 4,546 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Just like the previous poster said, NEVER waste money on these training/learning centres. A+ and N+ for $4000 ??? You got to be kidding me... No way in hell I'd pay that kinda dough even if I had stacks of money on me.

Spend your money wisely, for about 500-700 dollars you could build yourself a machine that could run more than a few VM's (virtual machines). Practice off those, break/fix stuff, that's how you really learn. There are trial versions of most operating systems that you can snare off the vendor's website. You'll be amazed at how much you save, and how much you learn this way.

I'd say the N+ is a good start, if you are interested in networking. Test the waters with this cert, if you like the material, go for the CCNA. If you want to try Systems, an MCP should get your hands dirty. It's really upto you which way you want to take your career. Maybe programming? DBA even?

Plenty of helpful people on these forums, post any questions you may have.

Once again, DO NOT waste your money on this new horizons crap.
    NSX, NSX, more NSX..

Blog >> http://virtual10.com
  • Options
    jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you tried volunteering somewhere?? I agree with Jason0352 on not spending all that money on expensive training. I think any certification is worth something. The more you know, the better you are off.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Spend maybe $39 and/or $49 on a couple of good A+ books -- and save the rest of that money to pay for the exams and beer for all of us (your choice of Vegas or Atlantic City) to help you celebrate when you pass and get your A+ Certification.

The only time it's worth taking classes like that is when WORK IS PAYING AND you get the paid TIME OFF FROM WORK to take the classes.

Welcome to the TechExams.net forums!! Look at how much money your membership has already saved you!! icon_lol.gif

You can still check something like Craig's list to find low paying gigs or internship offers on your own to add some experience to your resume. Also look for some weekend temp work -- lots of companies do moves on the weekends and either they or the companies they hire need more bodies then during "off hours."
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I don't know where you're going to school, but your user IS suggests you are from NC and I know the local community colleges offer A+ and Network+ as part of their normal curriculum if you really need classroom/instructor led learning.

What kind of jobs have you been looking for off campus? There's bound to be some kind of call center, helpdesk, etc that would take at least short-term contract kind of work. Try hitting up some of the IT recruiters directly that advertise on the job sites like dice or career builder and see what they can get you for the time being. Any experience is good experience right now.

I agree on New Horizons. Never spend money on them. I've gone there when my company had free MS Training vouchers to spend, but I wouldn't ever spend my own money to go there.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    gcarroll357gcarroll357 Member Posts: 53 ■■□□□□□□□□
    To the OP, im in a very similar situation. I graduated last December and really didnt have a lot of hands on experience that employers are seeming to look for.....I agree not to spend the money on that school and use it to for ur own study material. Thats what im doing. Im praying that it will work out in the long run...good look to ya
  • Options
    NC_336ITNC_336IT Member Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the advice guys, I have clearly learned not to pay for these training centers! lolicon_lol.gif

You only have to tell me once, I have no problem saving my money! So you guys honestly believe I can prepare for the A+ &Network+ just with textbooks?

I liked the idea of break stuff/fix stuff Essendon, sounds good. I just have to figure out exactly what I need to purchase...would building a cheap machine from sratch be a helpful tutorial for the test? MCP is possible as well...

Jamesleecoleman, I am considering volunteering my services this year as it seems like its the only way to gain work experience. I also have applied at an AT&T help desk position/call center,hopefully i can land it.

Mike, I'll keep those beers in mindicon_lol.gif, lol and thanks for the craigslist advice, I didnt even think that site was too helpful but I see I was wrong.
    blargoe I am in NC, attending a 4 year state college not a community college. Are these classes free/cheaper at community colleges?

good luck gcarroll the market it toughicon_cry.gif
  • Options
    ipconfig.allipconfig.all Banned Posts: 428
    The prices seem a bit expensive. But I am sure they will train you well. You always could be self paced you will save a lot.
  • Options
    blargoeblargoe Member Posts: 4,174 ■■■■■■■■■□
    I know those classes wouldn't be free, but definitely much cheaper than New Horizons. You'll have to check out the website for your local community college. Some have "continuing education" classes and some would have them as regular credit courses, either way probably cheaper than even what you're paying for an hour of your university classes. I did Cisco classes at a community college while I was finishing up my 4-year degree, which ended up being a nice complement being I was a CS major and had no hands on network experience even in a lab.
    IT guy since 12/00

Recent: 11/2019 - RHCSA (RHEL 7); 2/2019 - Updated VCP to 6.5 (just a few days before VMware discontinued the re-cert policy...)
    Working on: RHCE/Ansible
    Future: Probably continued Red Hat Immersion, Possibly VCAP Design, or maybe a completely different path. Depends on job demands...
  • Options
    richnewmanrichnewman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    NC_336IT wrote: »
    So you guys honestly believe I can prepare for the A+ &Network+ just with textbooks?

Definitely A+, easily. If you really want to be in a class, take CCNA and get N+ during those.. it seems a lot of material from N+ is in CCNA.
  • Options
    the_Grinchthe_Grinch Member Posts: 4,165 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Personally, if you are going to get the CCNA I would skip the Net+. Get the A+ and you should have no issues landing a job somewhere. I see a lot of postings looking for A+ and the work amounts to putting in a network card and installing the drivers. There are a lot of contract jobs doing various field tech like work. I have to agree with not paying a training center. The A+ information is very easy to obtain via book and opening up a PC. As an aside, it took me 8 months to find a job and I started 2 months before I graduated. I'd start sending out the resumes asap. Don't worry about the GPA as I haven't had an employer yet talk about it. Other then the jobs that asked for a specific GPA. Good luck and welcome!
    WIP:
    PHP
    Kotlin
    Intro to Discrete Math
    Programming Languages
    Work stuff
  • Options
    richnewmanrichnewman Member Posts: 38 ■■□□□□□□□□
    the_Grinch wrote: »
    Personally, if you are going to get the CCNA I would skip the Net+.

Yeah maybe, but I guess I was giving advice for what I'm doing in life =P.. By the time I finish school, we're not going to cover Vista/Win7, but we will go over MCSE material.. which A+/N+ is an elective for.. so I'll be getting N+, even though I'll probably have CCNA first or both around the same time.

I imagine if he's an IT student, he'll probably go for more certs, but he might not go for MCSE by the time its ran it's course.. or who knows. If he wants MCSE, why not get N+.

Somewhat on the topic.. any word if A+/N+ are going to count towards Vista/Win7 certs?
  • Options
    KasorKasor Member Posts: 933 ■■■■□□□□□□
    If you are senior and not having 3.0 and above, then you might just look for other field. You want to be in the IT field, but can't even get good GPA in College. How do you expect company will hire you even as entry level.

There are many student out there with CS/IS major with 4.0 GPA still not able to get something at the field. It is a tight market on IT budget and lacking entry level.

I'm not giving you negative feedback, but think about it. Certification is only to enhance your skill, not to get you a job.
    Kill All Suffer T "o" ReBorn