Options

GNS3 and vista

Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
Greetings ALL:

to prepare for my upcoming exams I have downloaded GN3 to practice commands and situations (labs) in. After installing, configuring, loading the ios into labs, and then setting the idle pc mem values everything seems to work ok. However when I right click on a router and then click on console, the telnet window comes up and says that I am connected to (routername) via console port (console port number) and the ios never loads. I thought it was an software issue with my install so I uninstalled/reinstalled. Same issue. I have also tried this on a server 2003 machine and had the same issue so basically what I have come down to is that this is an ios issue or the gns3 software itself. I have checked the documentation and followed step by step videos on youtube. My question now is, how could I rule out an ios issue? Is there a way to check the bin file for problems?

I was thinking about copying a file from my recently arrived 2610 (non xm icon_sad.gif ). If I was going to do that I would need a t.f.t.p server app on my laptop to capture the file (correct??). does anyone know of a good t.f.t.p app (good=free) that I could use to do this?

Comments

  • Options
    billscott92787billscott92787 Member Posts: 933
    Use google and search for TFTPD32 it is free. I used it to upgrade three of my routers to a different IOS. I would check and make sure there isn't some type of firewall issue. If it is windows vista. Try turning off user account control and rebooting as well. Good luck
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Use google and search for TFTPD32 it is free. I used it to upgrade three of my routers to a different IOS. I would check and make sure there isn't some type of firewall issue. If it is windows vista. Try turning off user account control and rebooting as well. Good luck

    Thanks for the suggestion. I should mention that I:
    Disabled Win Firewall
    Disabled UAC
    Running as admin

    and still having the same issue. Also that it is happening on 2 different machines 1 running WinServer2003, 1 running winVista
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    Does the IOS never load or does nothing appear within the telnet screen at all?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stotic wrote: »
    Does the IOS never load or does nothing appear within the telnet screen at all?

    The IOS never loads.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    Does the IOS work on a real router? You did use the proper platform for the IOS you are loading?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Does the IOS work on a real router? You did use the proper platform for the IOS you are loading?

    That is the thing: The IOS is from a 1700 series and I only have a 2610 for now. I have no way of knowing if it really works or not. And yes the platform was correct.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    What's the IOS filename you are using, maybe I can try it on my machine.

    Solar Winds T.F.T.P. Server - Free

    Are you using PuTTY as your Telnet and SSH client? I would highly recommend it.

    PuTTY Installer
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    What's the IOS filename you are using, maybe I can try it on my machine.

    Solar Winds T.F.T.P. Server - Free

    Are you using PuTTY as your Telnet and SSH client? I would highly recommend it.

    PuTTY Installer


    I did try putty but it didn't work. Oh and my ios name is c2600-adventerprisek9 ivs-mz.124-21a.bin

    EDIT: That is the one I am using for my 2600 emulation. I will add the name for my 1700 series later.
  • Options
    captobviouscaptobvious Member Posts: 648
    knwminus wrote: »
    I did try putty but it didn't work. Oh and my ios name is c2600-adventerprisek9 ivs-mz.124-21a.bin

    EDIT: That is the one I am using for my 2600 emulation. I will add the name for my 1700 series later.
    I tried that one in GNS3 and it didn't like it. It does, however, work fine on my live equipment. My suggestion would be to use a different IOS.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    I tried that one in GNS3 and it didn't like it. It does, however, work fine on my live equipment. My suggestion would be to use a different IOS.
    You uncompressed it? 2600 IOS images need to be uncompressed otherwise dynamips will freak out and get stuck in a reboot loop.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    You uncompressed it? 2600 IOS images need to be uncompressed otherwise dynamips will freak out and get stuck in a reboot loop.


    I know I am going to get flamed here but I am going to ask: What do you mean by uncompressed? I mean I looked at the file attributes and it didn't say it was zipped or anything. Is a bin file a form of a compressed file?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I tried that one in GNS3 and it didn't like it. It does, however, work fine on my live equipment. My suggestion would be to use a different IOS.

    What did it do for you?
  • Options
    dynamikdynamik Banned Posts: 12,312 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Yea, the bins are compressed; you can extract the images with something like WinRAR.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    knwminus wrote: »
    I know I am going to get flamed here but I am going to ask: What do you mean by uncompressed? I mean I looked at the file attributes and it didn't say it was zipped or anything. Is a bin file a form of a compressed file?
    Nearly all recent IOS images are actually a short loader stub and a ZIP compressed copy of the actual IOS binary. Dynamips doesn't like the loader stub for some reason so you need to unzip the .bin file to extract the actual IOS binary.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    dynamik wrote: »
    Yea, the bins are compressed; you can extract the images with something like WinRAR.

    Thanks! Well I feel like a dunce. Now my question do I need to extract that file to the dynamips folder?


    QUOTE=tiersten;338986]Nearly all recent IOS images are actually a short loader stub and a ZIP compressed copy of the actual IOS binary. Dynamips doesn't like the loader stub for some reason so you need to unzip the .bin file to extract the actual IOS binary.[/QUOTE]

    Ok. That is probably the issue. I guess I will download Winrar and extract the bin from within the bin file and hopefully it will work. I got to say that everything else works great and from what I have seen so far this Gns3 is amazing. I will edit this post with the results. Thanks guys.
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    You can extract the file anywhere you want as long as you know where it is. Locate your GNS3 folder in your C: drive if you want to be organized. You just have to reference the file once and you're good to go (don't delete the file of course).
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Stotic wrote: »
    You can extract the file anywhere you want as long as you know where it is. Locate your GNS3 folder in your C: drive if you want to be organized. You just have to reference the file once and you're good to go (don't delete the file of course).

    Did you use Gns3 for your CCNA/CCNP studies and if so, do you think it (along with some physical switches) was enough?
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Well I downloaded winrar and self extracted the file. Changed the file locations in GNS3 and it didn't work...

    I am not sure what else could be the issue

    Edit: Success! the 3640 works. Now for a break and then for the others.
  • Options
    mella060mella060 Member Posts: 198 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Have you enabled the windows telnet client in Vista ? I usually use that or Teraterm
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    mella060 wrote: »
    Have you enabled the windows telnet client in Vista ? I usually use that or Teraterm

    yea. I extracted the bin file inside the bin file into my working ios directory repointed the images and it worked fine.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    knwminus wrote: »
    Edit: Success! the 3640 works. Now for a break and then for the others.
    It is only the 2600 that has to have the images uncompressed. You should do it for other routers however because it speeds up booting significantly.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    It is only the 2600 that has to have the images uncompressed. You should do it for other routers however because it speeds up booting significantly.

    yea I figured that much. I extracted the bins and it has been working so far. I can get about 6 routers up and running before my laptop starts to really work so that should be enough.
  • Options
    tierstentiersten Member Posts: 4,505
    knwminus wrote: »
    yea I figured that much. I extracted the bins and it has been working so far. I can get about 6 routers up and running before my laptop starts to really work so that should be enough.
    Everytime I've tried dynamips, I've found the limiting factor to actually be available RAM and not CPU. If you can add some more into your laptop you'll probably be able to run more routers if necessary.
  • Options
    Bl8ckr0uterBl8ckr0uter Inactive Imported Users Posts: 5,031 ■■■■■■■■□□
    tiersten wrote: »
    Everytime I've tried dynamips, I've found the limiting factor to actually be available RAM and not CPU. If you can add some more into your laptop you'll probably be able to run more routers if necessary.

    I have 4 gb in my laptop. When I build my new desktop and/or server I will probably aim for 10gb. 6 should be enough for CCNA/CCNA:S though and I also have physical switches and routers coming in so I should be ok
  • Options
    StoticStotic Member Posts: 248
    knwminus wrote: »
    Did you use Gns3 for your CCNA/CCNP studies and if so, do you think it (along with some physical switches) was enough?

    I had access to a lab for my CCNA/CCNP studies. However, now that I no longer have that access GNS3 has served me well in my further studies.
Sign In or Register to comment.